1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays A gaggle of monitors require your informed opinions...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dr_Horse, 3 Jan 2012.

1. Dr_Horse

Dr_Horse What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, my 22" dvi monitor is in the process of going bang and I was looking for an upgrade, hopefully informed by your collective wisdom/experience.

Looking for 22-24", HDMI, at least 1920 x 1080, £150 max but would want a 3 year warranty for that too.

There are ones I'm looking at right now. I'm a compulsive review hunter but I also work in SEO so know how many reviews are complete balls, so any feedback on the following would be great:

Samsung S24A300H 23.6" - £129
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S24A300H-23-6-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B0060KBY86

Iiyama Prolite E2407HDS 24" - £148
    http://www.ebuyer.com/161554-iiyama-prolite-24-tft-hdmi-monitor-ple2407hds-b1

BenQ G2420HD 24" - £143
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-G2420H.../dp/B002M1FH2Q/ref=dp_cp_ob_computers_title_3

Also considering this even though it's not hdmi:

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials...+LCD+Monitor+?productId=44153&page=2&rqcType= Feel free to be as snobby as you like but a 3 yr warranty for a hundred notes ain't bad.

Any other suggestions welcome!!

2. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

LG's new DM line of IPS should be out within a month if you can wait. The DM82 would probably interest you, though not sure on pricing yet, I expect similar to the current line up.
    If you can't wait you might grab the current 23" LG IPS model, as it's in your budget. I think one of the versions does not have hdmi, so double check.
    I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews of the DM92 myself.

4. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

I have the samsung that you linked, I realy like it so far. It has good depth collors and also a nice bright screen if you need it :)
    I bought mine for 140€ from bol.com if I remember correctly. They only down side that I had with it that it did not have a cable to connect it to my video card.

Hope that helps!

~Bladesingerz

5. Dr_Horse

Thanks guys, anyone else?

Just checked and that Samsung has gone up to 145 on amazon to match the price elsewhere - Should have kept my mouth (fingers) shut!

6. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I have one but It doesn't have HDMI though it has HDCP and your GPU should come with a DVI to HDMI adapter = same thing.

(I have the non glossy one: lg 23 isp231p-bn)

7. IvanIvanovich

I knew some didn't just couldn't be bothered to look up each one. I think model number with V has the hdmi. But, yeah adapter same thing, none have speakers, so hdmi makes no advantage anyway.

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

LG 23inch IPS231P-BN
    -> Full adjustable stand
    -> Full matte (this is good, as you can focus on your work, and not on your reflection or the one from your room, and no need to fight the sun if you are close to a window)
    -> No HDMI (DVI and VGA only)

LG 23inch IPS236V
    -> Screen is matte, but the stand and frame around the screen is glossy (this might be an issue, and personally doesn't look nice)
    -> Non-adjustable stand
    -> HDMI (DVI, VGA included as well)

Both are IPS panels. Once you go IPS, there is no going back to TN panels. It's a curse. :p

What's IPS? Look at the iPad, Apple displays and iMac. Ok they are a bit better displays than the LG one suggested above, where the above LG's are really entry level IPS panels, but you get the same nicer colors over TN panels (well high end TN panels are getting really close, but they cost more than an entry level IPS panel), you have lower back light bleeding, a bit sharper image than today's TN panels, and on top of all that, amazing veiw angles.. and not just left and right (horizontally), but also vertically. In fact! 178 degree view angle in all directions, with diagonals. Why you want to tilt 45 degree a monitor... I have no idea.. but still cool.

Check out my monitor guide for more info on different panel technology of LCD screens, and their up and downs, so that you can pick one that best fit your needs.
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=218867

Last edited: 4 Jan 2012
  9. Dr_Horse

Thanks guys. I've seen those LG IPS screens mentioned all over this forum (and in goodbytes guide) but can't find them in stock anywhere, hence me looking at other options.

The screen essentially stopped today, so I need to order tonight. Thanks everyone for your help.

10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

You can blame me for starting the IPS231P-BN off. As now they are like gold dust!

11. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Bah, because you bought most of them. :p

I think they're now EOL.

12. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Plan B, is the Dell U2312HM, or the 16:10 version Dell U2412M (1920x1200).
    Both are using LG panels, and if we take the U2312HM as it's the closest to the LG one, it features a bit better panel, and as input: VGA, DVI and Display Port. (same inputs for the U2411H).

Display Port is a new input technology for monitor, replacing DVI. It doesn't affect consumers (us) in general, more the professionals. The advantage it gives us are:
    -> Proper, and royalty free digital connectivity for laptops.

-> Support more than 1920x1200 (HDMI 1.2 limitations... and the resolution was only increased due to the consequences of supporting 3D on HDMI 1.3). I am noticing that a lot of laptops only has HDMI 1.2 (probably due to royalty cost). It also support more plug-in/out than HDMI and DVI. HDMI is all about home entertainment, while Display Port focus is on desktop/laptop computers.

-> Easier to connect and disconnect plug. No stupid screws.

-> Display Port 1.2 (no display supports it, today), support video, audio (audio, optional since 1.1), and auxiliary (anything you/manufacture wants, so like USB, firewire, Thunderbolt, Ethernet) in 1 wire.

-> XHD ready

-> Display Port 1.2 you can daisy chain up to 4 monitor at 1920x1200 from 1 plug form your graphic card (of course, you need a graphic card that support it, and of course: monitor (none so far) )

For professionals, it provides:
    -> 10, 12, 16 bit color support at high resolution than DVI (HDMI is limited as well...as TV's only support 8-bit colors)
    -> Ensure color accuracy from point A to B (like DVI, and unlike HDMI)

Display port is backward compatible down to HDMI and DVI with a simple adapter.
    Anyway, that's Display Port, if you did not know it.

The downside of the U2311HM, is the a bit higher price tag.

Last edited: 4 Jan 2012
  13. Dr_Horse

Cheers for those, but out of my price range.

14. IvanIvanovich

Yep current LG IPS ones are EOL, new DM series out end of the month.

15. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

16. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

120Hz IPS panels.:eek: Stands looks to be getting even worse though, hope there's a BN variant.

17. IvanIvanovich

It's 'fake' 120hz. 60hz interpolation method. One of them had a nice stand, but yeah the rest of them... I think not any adjustment at all, maybe tilt. Vesa mount though, so just throw it and get a refurb old one or something.

18. Dr_Horse

19. DanFerret

DanFerret What's a Dremel?

Ahh the new models would explain why I am having such a hard time finding the current range in stock anywhere.

20. Arednel

Arednel What's a Dremel?

I'd love to get a new monitor to show off my GTX570 but I guess I'll have to do the sensible thing and buy a house first boo.