1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows A game that looks good, but is still a good game??

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by GregTheRotter, 6 May 2012.

1. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Ok, so I'm on the lookout for a copy of assassins creed revelations, I enjoyed the earlier installments, despite the simple fact that all they've done is stick a new city in the game and give you a few new people to assassinate. Obviously looking to spend max £10 on this.

Also looked at deus ex the latest installment, but from what I've seen looks a LOT like a console port (ok, it is but you get what I mean), and all this talk of impossible boss fights have put me off it. It's going cheap-ish at £11.49, but not quite at the £10 mark.

Can't be arsed with the crysis 2 just because I always hated the whole aliens thing.

Skyrim, well I really enjoyed fallout 3 and nv, but damn, I don't want a game that I sink 80 hours into, where I'm thinking, am I really sinking this much time into this game, doing all this rpg bs? Yeah, despite that I enjoyed the fallout games, there were times when I though , damn, another set of dialogue options to chose from.

I've got a few games that I bought and could play namely;
    Older scrolls oblivion ; installed it, but am hugely disappointed with the graphics, yeah I know it's an older game but damn. Hi res texture pack? Ok, can someone link me to it, so I can download it and not have to sift through the hordes of interweb forum results?
    Mirrors edge; tried it, got bored it it
    Borderlands, I suppose I could give this game another try, damn the controls feels weird though (feels like you're controlling with a control pad even though you've got a mouse) and the graphics look so dated :(

So in a nutshel, would like a cheap game i.e £10 max, that looks good (obviously not a game that is donkeys years old, and looked good at the time), and offers some mindless fun. Oh, and I don't like scary games either. What can you reccomend? :clap:

Last edited: 6 May 2012
  2. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I have AC:Revelations and find it quite boring to be honest. And that's about it dude. The Sims 3 perhaps ;-)

3. Deders

Deders Modder

Either of the Batman games are ace, could probably get the first quite cheap.

4. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Guild Wars 2. Very nice upgrade over the first one.

Sorry, missed the price requirement. In that case, I second Arkham Asylum.

5. alph4a

alph4a What's a Dremel?

Batman Arkham City on Steam £9.99

6. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Download ALL the texture packs!

As for a good looking game with great gameplay, you might enjoy Crysis and Crysis Warhead. Crysis 2 compares in no way to these two epic games - just look at Gunsmith's videos.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Shopto has dues ex download for £6 and for that price you can't go wrong

Steam code

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Dead Space!

9. Metaporic

Metaporic Minimodder

Right, well I have been in the market for at least half decent-ish and modern games for under a £10 as well, these are some of the titles I found:

Bulletstorm (Looks good and offers a hell load of mindless fun, blowing enemy's apart etc...)
    Darksiders
    Red Faction Guerilla (Offers a lot of fun with its Geoengine and open world)
    Red Faction Armageddon
    Dead Space (A tad on the scary side haha, but its so cheap its a shame not to buy it)
    Hunted Demons Forge
    The First Templar (Graphics are meh, Gameplay is defo mindless fun though)
    Metro 2033 (Scary but awesome)
    Rage: Anarchy Edition
    Prince of Persia (Several of the titles in the series can be had for under £10)
    The Last Remnant
    Total War Shogun 2
    Ultima I: The First Age of Darkness 'Cough'

Between Play, Amazon and Game, pretty much all these titles can be had for under £10, hell half of them can be had for under £5.

The texture pack you want for Oblivion is Qarls texture pack III, it totally overhauls the games graphics. There is a better optimised version if you find you get to much lag with the full version, you loose some quality but its hardly noticeable.

Full version can be found here: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=oblivionmods.detail&id=2363

There are a ton of mods out there that improve things such as LOD meshes and flora, characters, weapons etc...

Vurts (who has also worked on Morrowind and Skyrim) was working on a Flora overhaul for Oblivion, but not sure where that went. It can be found here: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=6440

Basically though, id recommend you shop around in the Nexus and Planet Elder scrolls for some great mods, graphical and otherwise. Try to use the Nexus Mod manager is possible, it makes dealing with mods a hell of a lot easier.

Away from that, you can always try out Nehrim: http://www.nehrim.de/indexEV.html. It looks slightly better graphically than vanilla Oblivion and can be further modded via texture packs for Oblivion. The key is in how it uses its environments. Some of the landscapes are stunning, even by modern standards.

Edit: RE Dues Ex. While the game was not as fun as the first, it was certainly a good game, decent graphics, great art direction, great game-play and the bosses where nowhere near impossible. The only one I died once or twice via bosses. If anything, if I remember correctly, you can just drop the difficulty down a notch. I personally liked the change of pace, as I typically went stealth.

Anyway, Dues Ex can be had for $7.99 from HMV, plus it comes with the explosive mission pack (I think) http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?WT.mc_id=101689&sku=45853

Last edited: 6 May 2012
  10. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Thanks guys, I've already got the batman games. As for deus ex, I'd rather pay the extra 0.60p and get a retail version of the game, saves me downloading.

Glad that I've finally got mass effect 1 running at the right res (was a steam version and the mass effect launcher was in the steam folder, thanks to the guys here on bt who helped me find this out).

I've got dead space, I really wasn't a fan of the whole dark corridors, spooky boogie monster thing. I did play fear 1, but at the end of the day, prefer my games sans 'scare factor', no matter how mild it may be. Am tempted to reinstall ass creed II, if I don't get revelations off ebay. We'll see.

11. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Was quite impressed with deus ex myself sure the boss fights suck but the core game is good and has some replay value. Skyrim is far more about dungeon crawling and less about dialogue than fallout:NV. Makes it worse in my opinion but that may make it better from your viewpoint.

12. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

You can still play the original Deus Ex with a gfx overhaul :) - http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-new-vision

System Shock 2 - again with a hi-res texture mod - http://www.moddb.com/mods/system-shock-rebirthhigh-poly-pack & http://www.moddb.com/mods/shtup-system-shock-2-texture-upgrade

There's two amazing games which **** all over what we see these days.

13. Deders

Deders Modder

The boss fights were a bit different from the rest of the game but I found they challenged me to think differently, If my current arsenal wasn't effective there were always things about in the environment that would be essential to make things work for my gameplay style.

Adapt to survive.

14. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

+1 For Deus Ex:HR.

Didn't think the boss fights were that much of a hurdle to get over.

15. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Yeah worth remembering the are about 0.01% of the game. Especially the last two which can be beaten in <10 seconds.

16. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The Witcher?