1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News A Linux Geek Embraces Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 27 Jan 2005.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Behold the thrills and spills as an unsuspecting Penguinista starts his way down the Dark path, in much the same way as I... This from ExtremeTech:

I've always wanted a Mac. There, I said it. I'm out of my Mac closet. I've secretly longed for one but could never really justify buying one. OS 9 and its predecessors held no real interest for me. But when OS X—really a version of Unix under the hood—came out, suddenly the idea of buying a Mac became all the more tempting.

During an ExtremeTech meeting a couple of weeks ago, we were talking about doing more operating system coverage. That was when I finally decided then to take the plunge and buy a Mac. This was before the Mac mini was announced, so that didn't figure into my decision on which one to buy (more on that later).

Bear in mind that I've never really used a Mac. Oh I've played with one for a few minutes at an Apple store but that's about it. Other than that, I'm pretty much a blank slate as far as Macs go. So what you will read in this column are the impressions of a guy very much used to Linux and Windows.

Some of my thoughts will no doubt strike veteran Mac users as silly, stupid, or downright heretical! For that all I can say is: Hey, I'm a newbie...what do you expect?

More (Lots More!) here.

Do read if your wavering on whether to buy that Mac Mini. This will push you one way or the other. ;)

Tags: Add Tags