1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays A little monitor buying help please.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zener Diode, 11 Oct 2009.

1. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

2. damienVC

damienVC What's a Dremel?

It certainly looks like a fairly good spec - I'm no expert but am looking at a new monitor at the moment as well. The main factor is going to be the rest of your rig - it needs to be a fairly good spec to run at the native resolution. If you're happy that it will, then go for it. For 180 euros you could probably pick up a 24" monitor at similar spec though - I'm looking at an Acer monitor on Amazon that's broadly similar price wise, but at 24".

3. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

Thanks for the reply.

I would say my rig will cope, I haven't built it yet so I don't know. The monitor is the only thing I haven't decided on, once I pick one I will proceed to order the rest of the stuff. I am getting an i7 920, an Asus P6T SE mobo, a GTX 260 and 6Gb DDR3 RAM at 1600MHz. I'll check out some 24" monitors but I think I'll stick with a 22". I would imagine that, because the 24" monitors are usually 1920x1080 also, the 22" ones would be slightly clearer and sharper.

Thanks again and I hope your monitor search works out well.

4. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

That LG monitor is really really good, I was gonna buy one for my 360, and I was very impressed by the picture quality and specs. In the end I didn't go for it because it didn't have built in speakers, and went for the Viewsonic VX2260WM, the only reason is becuase of my setup with DVD and freeview etc.

The constrast ratio is very nice, although sometimes loses slight detail in the blacks, but hardly noticable when running through HDMI.

There is no seeping of light through the edges of the TV, and the piano black finish is a very nice touch. The on/off button is like a touch pad (similar to PS3), and works nicely.

Only other slight problem is the delays between menus when setting brightness etc, it can sometimes take a quite a long time for it to respond to the buttons you are pressing, but don't let it put you off.

Also to really complicate things, there are two versions of this monitor, there is the W2261VPF (the one you have linked) but also there is a W2261V. The difference being is the screen type, without going into boring detail they are both good, and the W2261VPF is the newer of the two, so I would expect it to be slightly better than the W2261V.

Hope this helps

Gaz

5. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

Yes, that helps.

Thanks for the informative post.

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

It's not bad for the price. But pardon me for being an elitist, but it's a TN Panel.

With that out of the way, I see no problem with it, other than the fact that getting a 24" might be more fun.

7. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

np :D :thumb:

8. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

I know, that doesn't bother me too much. If it was like a standalone upgrade I would pay more, but I am buying an entire rig (case and all) on this budget so it seems like a good enough deal.

Thanks for posting.