1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows A little XP help

Discussion in 'Software' started by sixfootsideburns, 7 May 2009.

1. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

alright so in the past week my street (and streets on the same sector of the grid as mine) have lost power about 4-5 times. The reason you might ask? well... i wish i knew, i plan to call the city tomorrow and find out some more information.

But every time the power goes out, and i hear my speakers make that little "pop" and the whole system gives that electronic whimper in despair, it makes my heart drop. And alas... the most recent outage has caused some problems with my PC. I knew it was only a matter of time before the outages caused some damage but unfortunately they are about as unpredictable as life in general... especially considering 2 of the power outages occurred on sunny days with clear skies... who knows...

So heres my problem, when i went to rebooted my PC after the outage, i got a "Error loading OS" which leads me to believe that the damage is to the hard drive itself, but rather the Windows install (Plus i loaded a Ubuntu Live CD and can access my HDD with no problems). So in the Windows XP repair console, I have tried to use the FIXMBR command but it only resulted in my HDD showing no activity on boot up...

I have also tried FIXBOOT with no success. The thing I am trying now is CHKDSK /R command it is telling me something like "The disk appeared to be ok so it wasnt scanned, use the /p command if you wish to scan it anyways." Or something along those lines.

Where I'm at this is points is that I really would like to try to just fix my install if possible rather than reinstall fresh. I have an very large amount of personal settings on windows that i would like to avoid having to redo if at all possible due to my free time being rather limited.

If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

OH! one last thing, the other thing I thought might be worth doing was backing up my registry before I reinstall (If I have to end up doing that). Do people think that would be worth while? slash, how should I go about doing it.

thanks a lot in advance for any help :thumb:
    sideburns

2. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

yeah that sucks.. it was writing to the drive when the power went out.. a chkdsk /f should fix it but you'll end up with crosslinked files- probably alot of data corruption.. I think we've all learned the hard way

if you can recover what you can before the fix and then see what's salvageable after.. best bet is if you had a backup.. we have powerouts in the summertime here also- mainly when everyone and grandma is running thier ac units- end up with rolling blackouts

a good ups unit will save you from pulling your hair out again.. or if you have data writing activities and don't have a ups in areas like that- do them at night

3. sixfootsideburns

i've definitely tried the chkdsk /f but it doesn't seem to be a valid command.

I run a copy of XP x64 corporate that my school provided for me, I don't know if the command is different for my particular version but in the Repair Console on the CD i put in

chkdsk /help and it gave me
    /p
    and /r as options, i've tried R but it never goes all the way through the scan gives some crap about using /p

then I try /p and it says its fine and that it didnt bother to scan... starting to get a little aggravated. Unfortunately I would rather have my PC than the data so its starting to look like my only option to get this done in the next day or two is to reinstall.

that is of course... unless there are any other ideas :hehe:

4. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

no fix option other than r? what about chkdsk /p /r

5. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

You can only use parameter /F (fix errors) when running CHKDSK from within Windows. And then you usually should specify parameter /X (force dismount) as well. For really tough cases parameter /R (locate bad sectors) is also a good idea, but this will take quite a while. However, all of this is moot since you can't boot into Windows in the first place.

When using the Windows command console (repair console) you can force CHKDSK to check disks that aren't marked as "dirty" by specifying the /P parameter, eg. CHKDSK /P <drive/partition letter>. Adding parameter /R does the same as in Windows mode, namely check the complete drive/partition for errors.

You should definitely try running CHKDSK with parameters /P and /R on your Windows partition *and* on your boot partition. It might take a while, though.

6. sixfootsideburns

yeah quite unfortunately i've done all that with no success so im starting to think reinstallation is going to be the least painful way to go about business. Serious bummer... but im thinking i should man up and do it. Clean install cant hurt to bad i suppose.

Just aggravating that I have to reforward all my ports, reskin my desktop, remake my registry, install who knows how many apps, and reorganize all my base folders...

*sigh* ddaaammnnn iiittttt :hehe:

7. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I feel your pain... By the way, exporting your old registry and importing it into your new install would be a really daft idea. :)

What you could do, though, if you have the necessary disk space, would be to make an image of your Windows partition (if you have partitioned your HDD at all). Preferably with Acronis TrueImage. You could then mount that image as a virtual drive and copy much of your stuff over. You could even load your old registry hives and export some choice settings. All at your own leisure.

8. sixfootsideburns

emmm, yeah that would have been a terrific idea. Wish i had read this before i started reformatting my drive. ddaaammnnn iiiitttt aagggaaaaiiinnnnn!

lol

oh and not only that! but turns out I cant find the right CD so i'm stuck without a windows install. terrific. this could be a really really long week.

9. sixfootsideburns

and the story just gets better and better... I unplugged my two other hard drives before i fresh installed off my roommates disk. Reformatted and found out that i unplugged the wrong one.

250GB of music, media, photos and a lot of irreplaceable material is gone... Pretty much my entire life from the past 7 years. alllll gone.

i haven't felt so upset in a very very very long time.

I appreciate the help people have given me, thread closed.

10. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

omg that's a kick in the balls.. I roid raged twice on data, once because of a power out.. was back in 2002 if I remember right- was downloading when it went out.. I came back to find my data drive was nothing but a big mess on reboot- lost alot of stuff but managed to recover quite a bit

the other time was an experiment.. I wanted to see if I could cheap out and run 5 harddrives on a no name power supply.. it was a deerfield XD it went fireworks and caught on fire when I turned it on.. fried all 5 and the cdrom- somehow the mb survived

if it wasn't low level formatted you can still recover the data on it.. I haven't had to do that myself- but there's plenty of software like this http://www.easeus.com/landing/format-recovery.htm

wish you luck man

11. sixfootsideburns

thanks, whats low level formatted mean specifically? as in did i do the "longer method" when i formatted? because i definitely did...

12. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

your fine.. if you don't know what low level formatting is your probably good =] look at these here see if you can find anything http://tinyurl.com/qt952p

13. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Low-level formatting a HDD requires special tools and can't even be performed on some modern drive. As thehippoz said, if you haven't installed anything on top of the wiped drive then your chances of recovering a lot of the data are quite good. Best of luck!

14. barack

barack New Member

well it seems that you have lost your data so it won't recover i think.