1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News A look at Intel's upcoming moves

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 18 Aug 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

*begins twitching angrily*

STOP WITH THE NEW ****ING CHIPSETS! WE'RE NOT MADE OF MONEY INTEL!

3. koola

koola Active Member

Maybe I should get a computer on contract eh Intel. That way I can upgrade every month...

4. Tulatin

Yeah, exactly what i'm freaking saying. I bought 975X. It's obstolete without Conroe support. Now i'll have to buy 965, and it'll be obstolete too!

Jesus christ, the AMD-64 ride was NOT this way. We had the freaking NForce 4 all the way from ****** winchesters all the way up to opterons... and dual cores in between.

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

These may be dark days for us AMD fanboys, but your angst does help. Keep up the good work :p

6. Tulatin

Hell dude, i'm not a fanboy. I want to go Conroe, but it pisses me off to buy a $300 board only to get "oops, sorry"

7. [1N0V471V]

[1N0V471V] New Member

*Shakes head*

This is why I'm waiting a little bit to upgrade. Money isn't the issue here -- I have it -- but I'll probably wait until quad core until I upgrade my CPU/RAM/Motherboard (don't get me wrong, I WILL get quad core... I don't like playing the waiting game). I also like waiting for technologies to mature a little before I lay down a grand on them :) For me, I don't game as much as I used to and find myself simply surfing the net and some light video editing, etc. so my PC is plenty fast enough for another six months...

8. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

Couldent squeze 4 more MHz out?!?!

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Hooray for the death of Pentium. Ever since the P3 stopped being top of the line Intel has being going further and further away from where it should have been going. Now there are two CPU manufacturers back and actually competing in the game, and things look very tasty indeed.

DD3 and PCI-E V2.0 are slightly worrying, but so long as DD2 and PCI-E V1.0 aren't killed off too soon then it's not so bad.

10. FeRaL

FeRaL New Member

You got my vote on that one!!!1!11 :duh:

11. EK-MDi

EK-MDi New Member

I thought PCIe 16X could currently already do up to 8Gigabytes per second (not 5Gigabits per second)...

12. EQC

EQC New Member

[check's Wikipedia]

"First-generation PCIe is constrained to a single signalling rate of 2.5 gigabits/s. The PCI Special Interest Group (the industry organization that maintains and develops the various PCI standards) plans future versions adding signalling rates of 5 and 10 gigabit/s."

Code:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express
    And they go on to explain:
    "First-generation PCIe is often quoted to support a data rate of 250 MiB/s in each direction, per lane. This figure is a calculation from the physical signalling rate (2.5 Gbaud) divided by the encoding overhead (10bits/byte.) This means a 16 lane (x16) PCIe card would then be theoretically capable of 250 * 16 = 4 GiB/s in each direction...."

Note the difference between little "b" (5 Gbps signal) for "bits" and big "B" (4 GB/s data rate) for "bytes" (1 byte = 8 bits...or 10 bits when overhead is included as in the calculation above).

So the 5 gigabit/s is the signalling rate....and if PCI-E 2.0 has a 5 gigabit/s signal, then everything doubles from the above calculation, and a x16 card should get a theoretical 8 GiB/s in each direction...a total of 16 Gigabytes/s transfered to/from the card when you count both directions.

Last edited: 18 Aug 2006
  13. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Why do we need 5Gbps? As far as I know, only a processor accessing RAM could saturate that.

Intel's stupid tagline thing keeps on reminding me of Quantum Leap, I wish they'd make a poster with Scott Bakula in though, that would be pretty kickarse.

EDIT: I'm fantastically bored, so I decided to actually make a picture...

[​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Aug 2006
  14. EK-MDi

EK-MDi New Member

Nice poster (if that's what it's meant to be), Ramble.

15. Ringold

Ringold New Member

Talk about two actors that were great but haven't done anything memorable since..

Stockwell did some Enterprise episodes, but wasnt allowed to really shine just like the whole series couldn't shine.. Did some Stargate work.. but he's got a great part in Battlestar Galactica now!

Poor Bakula though. I don't blame him for ENT getting canned; did what he could. But havent seen him in much else.. Quantum Leap => Years of not seeing him => Enterprise.

I haven't bought an Intel (for obvious reaons, one of which still remains: platform price/performance) since the P3, and at that time didn't OC, but would bumping up the FSB 1mhz, with quad-pumping, make it 1337? Or can't do it?

Too bad though. Someone in marketing obviously dropped the ball on a chance to earn a couple geek-points extremely easily :)

16. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Yea, it's a pity. They're were great actors in QL.
    Still, Stockwell in BSG, that was awesome.

I'm considering buying a Conroe later (no money at all now) but I think I'll wait and see what AMD comes out with first.

17. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I think that any self respecting geek, will overclock by 1MHz Even if they dont overclock.
    As for this, I guess it is good that I dont have a computer this year, Being over here in the UK with no money.
    Well only 4 months untill I have my computer back. Wonder if AMD will have got back into the game by then?

Tags: Add Tags