1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics A look back on SLi from 10 years ago (4-way GTX580's)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 27 Apr 2020.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Fun video looking at low end modern GPU's vs quad SLi on top of the range cards. The single card is actually quite good, but quad is just a mess!

boiled_elephant likes this.
  2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

£1600. Less than I paid for my 2080Ti.

Edit. If they were 1.5gb they were £380. If they were 3gb they were £430. Each like.

It's still totally lame, though.

3. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Funnily enough I watched this on lunch. Was quite interesting to see, especially the synthetic benchmark on such a fast CPU. From memory it was always pretty naff in games due to a lack of support (might have been some outliers but I can't remember).

Shame he didn't add in dual and Tri SLI into at least one of the games to see if there was any scaling to be had.

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

...and I thought the giveaway was the post date on YT... :p:

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I was quad for a while, a short while, as it was worse than 3x, 2x provided best scaling typically for your dough, 3x added a bit more but not enough to justify the outlay though I kept it as there were benefits at 4k etc, 4x just seemed to go backwards in every title bar benchmarking ideal scenarios.

Last edited: 27 Apr 2020
    Bloody_Pete likes this.
  6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

You also didn't see the GPU core was black plastic lol.

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Plus the ease with which he's handling it, as if that was real it'd be 2kg! If I put my engineering hat on, there's a lot of flaws with it too, thermal and airflow makes no sense to make a card like that, its got faaaaaaar too many power phases to ever make sense, plus just look at it! What case would you even fit that in, let alone without the damn thing snapping itself, the PCIe port and everything else! 1/10, silly prank :p Good job on the model though!