1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice A new computer for WoT

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mecblade, 30 Sep 2011.

1. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

Hi all, recently a mate asked me to build him a computer for WoT but I have no experience in what areas WoT is most demanding as I don't play it. I need your help!

Budget: around £600 with £800 being the maximum.

Main uses of intended build: Gaming

Parts required: Everything with the exception of Keyboard and Mouse

Previous build information (list details of parts): N/A

Monitor resolution: Dont really mind :)

Storage requirements: He doesn't need a massive one, mainly for school work and game files.

Will you be overclocking: No

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): N/A

Extra information about desired system: Some of his mates are introducing him to WoT but he's not garunteed to like it so if the GPU's 'future proof' (his request, not sure if future proof can count for 1-2 years :D ), I would appreciate it :)

To all who respond, I am eternally grateful :D

Thanks!

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Last edited: 30 Sep 2011
    mecblade likes this.
  3. mecblade

4. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

+1 the above
    However world of tanks is hardly a demanding game so a £500 system could max it.

5. mecblade

just a question but does he really need a modular PSU? He's not going to care much about cable management and it would save him a few pounds :)

6. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Didn't realise he'd put a £95 PSU unit in there.
    Corsiar builder series 500W would be fine if slightly louder.

mecblade likes this.
  7. mecblade

ok, with a few alterations and by taking advantage of the today only offers, i've got the price down lower ( :D ). This should be ok?

Intel i5 2500k unlocked retail (today only): £155.99
    MSI GTX 560ti Twin Frozr II OC (today only): £183.59
    MSI P67A G-45 (he wont need Z68): £84.80
    8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 XMS3 (today only): £33.59
    Coolermaster Elite 334 Black Midi Tower Case (today only): £28.79
    Corsair CX500: £45.00
    Samsung WriteMaster: £13.86
    500GB Samsung HD502HJ Spinpoint F3 (today only): £29.70
    20" Dell IN2020 Widescreen WLED (today only): £83.99

Overall, it comes to £659.31 :D

He said he didn't care about the looks of the case so the coolermaster should be ok. He's also said 500gb will be sufficient. Any other changes I should make?

edit: At his request, I'll up the GPU to a MSI 580GTX TwinFrozr II OC (today only). Not sure how he can afford it though.

8. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

Hi,

Thats a great deal on the GTX580 then!!

However I would scrap that Dell monitor...the LG monitor is far far better, and its bigger also. Will last a long time. If you check out Morecomputers.com they selling them for £118 exc VAT inc delivery!!!

Edit: Link was incorrect-fixed (that was to the LG236 (at 108 exc vat inc del btw) - sister version to LG231)

mecblade likes this.
  9. mecblade

That's a sweet deal, but he's somehow under the delusion that LED is better and nothing I say can pursuade him from it. He's been in PC World one time too many >_____>

So with the 580, the price is £696.42. If this is ok, he can order the comp tommorow.

10. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

11. mecblade

12. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Didn't see the post before

Tell him that the LG IPS is also an LED screen (it use LED's as the backlight same as 90% of monitors) but it uses better quality LED so is better much better quality.

13. SirFur

As was mentioned, that LG monitor is LED.

Its not that mucgoo. The Dell monitor uses a TN panel and the LG uses an IPS panel. IPS panel are far superior and provide better colours than a TN panel, as well as better viewing angles. A TN panel monitor is using technology that's very old tech. IPS is old also :p but back then was very very expensive. The LG is also a better made monitor so yeh it should have better quality LEDs too.

And tell your friend that LEDs are not better! :p But easier on the eyes and more power efficient, but not better in terms of how good the images are.

14. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

The GTX 560 Ti requires at least a 500W PSU... won't a 580 require more?

15. SirFur

Yes of course your right. I forgot the Corsair HX650 had been switched out. This is what I recommend instead:

Antec Truepower 650 Modular PSU (£50 exc VAT on today only at scan, until Sunday)

That'll also help with making the build easier with the modular connections, and look neater. Less wires all over the place in the case too so better cooling for sure. :brrr:

16. noizdaemon666

+1 for the Antec. I threw that first build together in the last few minutes of work so I just bunged in bits that I could quickly remember :hehe:

Also, definitely the LG monitor :D

17. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Mecblade, if he is ignoring your advice, why is he asking it in the first place? :D

Aside from the monitor switch, try to talk him into getting a more modest GPU. Not only will it save the electrisity bill, the highest-tier cards make more noise and have higher failure rates (being on the limit of possibility and all). I truely believe that for resolutions of 1080 and under, a GTX570 or GTX 560 is not just cheaper, but also a much better card to have.

18. mecblade

I'll discuss this with him when I go over to his house this afternoon, but I think that the screen isn't his massive priority and he's more worried about 'future-proofing' his PC.

19. noizdaemon666

Tell him to buy the LG or me and GoodBytes will hunt him down :lol: Plus, as said, it's LED and IPS so matches all his criteria plus more :D

And there is never such a thing as overkill on the GPU. You can just keep the card for a bit longer if it's more powerful.

And mecblade, you're 13!? I feel old :(

20. mecblade

If you hunt him down, I won't be able to receive payment for my services <____< (undercutting the school technician Cheesecake). I'll try and negotiate with him though :)

He's playing casual games such as WoW, potentially WoT and Witcher so he won't be hunting me down in a year or two demanding an explanation of why his 580GTX won't be able to run *insert future graphically demanding game here* :D

Yeah, I'm 13 although I started getting into computers at 11.