Other A nice backlit wireless keyboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by quizz_kid, 14 Mar 2013.

1. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Hi. As the title says, I´m looking for a nice illuminated keyboard, and it has to be wireless. Only things I´ve come across is Logitec´s slim-boards. I would like something more classic, like this Ducky Shine 2 board, but wireless. Has anyone seen anything like that? This may be a dead end, but I really hope not.

/ Quizz

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

MX has some pretty slim choices for wireless and backlight. Most are either or. For you I will reccomend Neo Zelia or Plum 96 for wireless choices, and lucky for you if you don't mind doing some work they are backlight ready so you will just have to solder the led yourself.

3. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Thanks Ivan. Both looks amazing. I´d like to keep it as small as possible, and I will not need numerics, so Neo Zelia would be my choice. Is that one also backlight ready? Can´t find any info about it.

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

5. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Yeah, I can see it now. Good! One additional thing I´d like as well, is to have laser cutted keycaps, so that the backlight comes through the letters/numbers, just like on the Ducky Shine 2. The caps for the Zelia looks solid to me, and it´s not an option here I guess?

6. Margo Baggins

Ducky actually sell those caps as an aftermarket thing should you want some. I mean obviously they come with a shine board, but you can also buy them seperately.

7. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Right, Zelia is backlight ready and you would need an additional set of keycap for the backlight style. Shouldn't be a problem to sell the Zelia stock caps to return the amount spent on the other caps if you wanted.
    While you might not need numpad, Plum 96 is barely wider than tenkeyless and you don't loose a thing. Also it's wireless is reported to be substantially better in range and improved over the Zelia. They are both made by same OEM but the Plum came after.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2013
  8. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Thanks guys.

Yeah, that Plum 96 seems very nice. But I can find any picures of it when backlit. Are the caps lit through the letters/numbers like on the Dicky?

9. Margo Baggins

No it has solid caps - as stock it comes as a non-backlit keyboard. It just has the option to wire in LEDs should you want. I actually prefer a subtle behind glow rather than having the light come through the keys.

I am planning on purchasing either a Neo zelia 87, plum 96 or a choc mid 87 at the end of this month - if I go for one of the former 2, I am going to put some LEDs on it (though not all over) - though I am going to import from china so it will be quite a while until it's in my possession but then I can show you what it would look like - but realistically that won't be for about 6 weeks which is quite a way off.