1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning A Not-So-Passive Streacom DB4

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Nick_Fel, 28 Jul 2021.

1. Nick_Fel

Nick_Fel What's a Dremel?

Hello! I've been lurking these forums for a couple years now, watching build logs, before I finally decided on what I want to do. A recent post on /r/battlestations used the streacom db4, normally (ya know, passively cooled) and I fell in love with the case. for anyone who doesn't know what exactly this is, as it is a fairly niche sff case (and I had no idea it existed before that reddit post), here it is in all it's glory:

[​IMG]

So, the goal: to put serious hardware in here, without sacrificing noiselessness - though I am moving the goalposts on what "noiseless" actually is. Instead of targeting no noise whatsoever, I'm targeting a noise output below the room's noise floor, which I'll define at around 25 to 27db.

Current thoughts: while I do not yet have a DB4 to actually measure (will be changing in the next month or so), I do know it is 260x260x270mm. With some caveats, I believe the interior volume is 240x240x240mm (once stripped of it's frame) this is plenty for an mITX board, but constraining for a GPU. I currently have a 2080ti xc hybrid from evga, which is on the reference pcb and just under 270mm long. A founders or reference 3080 would be acceptable lengths only when watercooled. Otherwise, options are quite limited. I could do something very janky, and simply mount the card at a 45 degree angle to the interior of the case (I'll sketch this up in fusion360 this evening). Currently, I think this is the best idea, as it gets me the closest to accepting full-size gpus. While I do plan on watercooling this, I don't want to be reliant on that for fitment.

At the top, things are much easier. I plan on using a 180mm radiator and 200mm noctua to gently exhaust air from the case. (I'd use a 200mm rad, but with end tanks, I don't think any exist that fit) The 180 will start in a cpu-only loop, with potential for a gpu to be added and another rad in the bottom of the case. With a jankily mounted gpu, I wonder just how large a rad can fit in the bottom. 140mm should be easy, but another 180? I think it's unlikely. with my current hybrid card, it would at least start with a 120mm rad down there.

As far as hardware, I don't want to tailor this too much to individual options. Ideally this is at least semi-upgradeable. mitx is obvious, matx is ever so slightly too big, but the asus mini dtx board would be easy to support. Constructing this in such a way to support as long a gpu as possible is key.

For the most part, this is spitballing. and until I have a case in hand, I am stuck working off assumptions (240x240x240mm inside volume)

the end goal is two visually identical systems, one a stock DB4 as a NAS, and one my main system, modded to fit serious hardware.

Also this image intrigues me:

[​IMG]

Bit I don't know how to implement something similar when I'm also using the top of the case as an exhaust. cutting some sort of cube pattern into it comes to mind. (I also plan to convert the NAS to a top exhaust as well, because there was a report of replacing the top with mesh reduced component temps by 10c. just opening the top helps a lot - not sure if I plan on adding a 200mm fan)

Let me know what you think - especially any solutions on wedging 300mm gpus in a 240mm cube volume! (not including cable connectors! gotta have space for those, either inside or outside)

MLyons likes this.
  2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The panels overlap with a corner on one side, so you could widen the case with a vented aluminum block to whatever width you need.
    Option B would be to buy 2 and stack them. You could even leave a gap for fancy lighting effects.
    Option C would be to use the back panel to lengthen the sides.

Just remember you still need to deal with the huge-*ss HDMI cables.

3. Nick_Fel

Nick_Fel What's a Dremel?

Yeah, cables will be a pain in the ass.

buying 2 and stacking has indeed come to mind, I'm not exactly sure how I would join them (aesthetically) maybe some wood that matches the lid? it's a thought.

If I stacked two, I would cram two systems in there - my main system, and my NAS. I have a PSU that can do it, even if it's massive (phanteks revolt x 1200w) but it would fit if the system is stacked.

I'm not sold on a stacked aesthetic, though. at least, not on the feet it comes with. maybe with different feet to make it more monolithic, I could get behind it.

I'm admittedly also not huge on changing the cube-ness of the shape. part of what I love about it is just how it looks, so I won't want to mess with that too much.

also, uh-oh, the side panels are 13mm thick, not the 10mm I was assuming. this means the interior volume is more useably 230x230x230mm.