1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A petition for triplescreen gaming reviews

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Xtrafresh, 5 Dec 2010.

1. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Ok, cool. Here's to hoping it's not going to fizzle, i'd really like to see one hardwaresite out there take at least 5760x1080 serious. [​IMG]

2. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

I look forward to reading what you guys got ya hands on x]

3. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Yes, you're paying £50 less and also getting much much much more resolution (6.2MP vs 4.1MP) and screen size (over 1.5x).

What's more, if you're doing something like photo editing or audio mixing, having three seperate panels is much more convenient than one large one. Apps are usually designed to run full screen so having three monitors means three full screen apps visible at once. Using a single 30'' monitor means messing about resizing windows. Even if you're just running two apps you're going to have to live with them being compressed horizontally (try this in photoshop it's a nightmare) because of the 16:10 aspect ratio.

Also don't forget that the three monitors don't need to be the same. There's nothing to say you can't get a single 23'' IPS on which all colour critical work is done and two much cheaper TN panels for web browsing and gaming etc. This brings the price way down but you still get loads of resolution, loads of visible space that's a useful size AND accurate colours if that's what you need.

I'll give you the point for moves. One large monitor is better for watching films from across the room than three separate smaller panels are. Of course, you can just sit closer. Unless you're watching beyond-HD content you'll get the same relative image quality sat further from the large screen as you will sat closer to the smaller one. Arguably you'd get better IQ from the smaller panel because you're watching in native resolution rather than upscaling. If I need to watch from further away (i.e. with a group of people) then I'll be using a TV downstairs, not my PC. For some people though, a single monitor would be an advantage here.

The ultra-wide monitor concept is a nice one, but you'll end up paying a lot more just to remove the bezels. What would be more sensible is a 24'' with bezel-less technology on the short sides, with bezels that can be clipped on and off. You buy three, take both sides of the middle one and one side off each of the other two then stand them next to each other; you've got a huge single screen without the ridiculous price tag that would be associated with one product of that size. Its the exotic nature of such a thing that would make it expensive, whereas a bezel-less design isn't something too alien and actually has a use as an ordinary monitor too.