1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education A Question for the Knife Experts/Collectors.

Discussion in 'General' started by Mr_Mistoffelees, 30 Jun 2021.

1. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Rotary Cat.

I want to buy a small (less than 3 inch blade), folding knife, for general use at home. It will be used for things like package opening and jobs in the garden, primarily. Any recommendations with regard to brand? I want decent quality and an ability to hold an edge but, not too expensive.

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Get yourself a Spyderco, would be the short answer. Have a look at Heinnie Haynes.

If you're trying to sneak one in on a lower budget, Boker have many a decent little knife.

LennyRhys likes this.
  3. BeauchN

BeauchN Modder

Maybe have a browse of Heinnie Haynes (heinnie.com)? Excellent supplier in my experience with a price range from ‘disposable’ to ‘one off masterpiece’, and everything in between.

EDIT: ninja’d

4. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

I've been pleased with my spyderco. Gerber and Böker were on my shortlist and opinel have a very cheap carbon steel folder, but will take a little looking after if used outside.

5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I've found the Heinnie Haynes own brand folding knives to be excellent value for money and decent quality.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Spyderco are great but spenny. I have a bunch of Bokers, and the Tech Tool 1 is good for the money. Not much of a finger choil, though, which doesn't sit well with a non-locking blade.

If I were in the market for something new, I'd probably pick up the Boker Plus XS Heinnie Edition. Not cheap, at twice the price of a Tech Tool 1, but with a hefty choil to keep your fingers safe.

7. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Rotary Cat.

Thank-you all for your recommendations, plenty to think about.

8. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Boker, BlackFox, CRKT, all up to the job, all available @ HH, for my money it's normally Boker as the lifetime warrenty has come in handy once, Svord peasants use excellent steel and retain a very sharp edge for a while.

Spderco always gets a hard pass from me, I really don't like the blade shapes

9. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

The Spyderco Military is the greatest folding knife ever made.