1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs A question on Displays (PC / PS3)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wgy, 10 May 2010.

1. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

Looking into buying a TV!

I want to use it for PS3 and bluray mostly but also as a PC monitor in the future.

I went to currys for a look and im now scared that the perfectionist in me is going to end up spending a grand on a tv. (street fighter will look tits though. :blush: )

rough criteria:

Full HD (with true blacks)
    32 inch
    DVI, HDMI, VGA inputs
    budget of £400-600

I am looking, but overwhelmed, so i need some help to make an informed choice. any response would be greatly appreciated.

also... whats this new led display technology like?

2. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

Try to get as many pixels as possible. That's what makes a TV high deff.

3. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

4. wormy

wormy Minimodder

+1 to ripmax - that Samsung B650 has had some very good reviews, though if you can stretch to LED (and check some reviews) they are reputed to give better pictures (more like plasma quality blacks and colours, from what I understand but without the screen burn and energy usage issues).

My only addition - don't buy from Currys lol or any other part of that group (PC World, Dixons). Nor Comet. Play can be ok but if you want a shop, check John Lewis, Richer Sounds, Sevenoaks Sound and Vision.

Of course, be very wary of how they look in shops - they will all be set differently and running off who knows what source.

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

To add to what wormy's said tesco and asda are 2 of the best for prices and returns and you can do the shopping while you're in there as well

6. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

To give some general overview:

LCD: Normally much cheaper, and look good with ambient light falling on the screen

Plasma: More realistic colour reproduction than LCDs, and better blacks, more expensive and not as good with ambient light, but better in the dark

LED LCD: Uber high contrast and bright colours, gives a very vivid picture, but colour reproduction isn't as accurate as plasma, and they're expensive. Also come in two types - side lit and back lit, the latter being superior and more expensive.

So as always depends on budget and usage :) I use a Panasonic TX-P50G10

Another tip: when browsing in shops, don't make any decisions based solely on what you see, unless it's a proper AV store with a proper demo in a proper room. The ambient light makes all the plasmas look poorer, the LEDs are colour overdriven to look striking, and they'll be run off different bluray players to make the more expensive ones look even better

Finally, have fun hunting, all part of the fun :lol:

wgy likes this.
  7. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

Oops, forgot this bit. Normal LCDs are lit by Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamps (CCFLs), of the sort you can use to illuminate your case. Unfortunately, these give out a variety of wavelengths of light, so when liquid crystal tilts to let through green, say, it also lets through a little bit of purple, etc. The screen is also brightest where the lamp is, and not quite as bright inbetween lamps, so the brightness and contrast isn't perfectly accurate.

LED LCDs use LEDs to provide the light. Because this is a quantum mechanical process, it's moreprecise - green LEDs give out green light. LEDs can also be turned off and on for each pixel, rather than for regions with the CCFLs. The edge-lit ones are slimmer because they need fewer LEDs, but they also have a slight halo of brightness around the edge and darkness in the middle. Backlit ones are even.

8. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

thanks for all the replies guys, very helpful.

rep awarded.