1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other A question on influence and leadership

Discussion in 'General' started by Langer, 4 Jan 2011.

1. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I'm developing a sort-of temporal analytics system to map information (users are also defined as information in this system) and predict trends on a global scale.

I'd like to seek your help in answering a question to help me out. While I begin the first stages of research, I'm trying to get some different perspectives.

What observable characteristics can one use to measure how influential someone is in a given field or community?

Please feel free to respond however it suits you, part of the result is the individual interpretation of the question.

Thanks for your time, and assistance.

*j

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

How the people around them react to them, do they listen? Do they take note?

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

How much time you're willing to give them or how many favours they can ask for before they seem to be taking liberties.

Now go mod.

4. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

People can be influenced in different ways. Some people will earn the respect of those around them and become influential that way. The other way is ruling with a fist of iron and gaining influence that way.

5. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

All of that and do others follow your suggestions or ideas? When you communicate have you gotten anyone's attention?

6. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Facial symmetry, waist/hip ratio

...Followers on Twitter? Friends on Facebook?

7. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

All very good answers and I thank you for your contribution.

Would anyone care to elaborate? Or would anyone else like to chime in?

Thanks again.
    Keep it coming.
    *j

8. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

oops. Double post.

9. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

to what extent people imitate them.

Also, when this person gives and instruction / order do people actually change how they do things or just go through the motions for a couple of days and then go back to how they've always done it.

10. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

any rewards earned (knighthoods, Manager of the month , won the league in 1982 , Nobel etc)

i would also question whether the people are correctly influential in their fields. Gordon Brown for example may have done a good job (in some peoples opinion - not mine) as a chancellor but should never have become PM

also what is influence, for example

was watching quiz of the year the other day and none of the people answering had had a job prior to entertainment but would probably be influential should they start talking about tax systems and economy (yet they may not even have a gcse in MAths)

which i suppose leads towards Popularity and having a position from which to speak.

11. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I love the individual insights! Thanks again everyone.

I'd still like to hear from more of you, but I'll start by sharing a few of the responses I've received:

What observable characteristics can one use to measure how influential someone is in a given field or community?

12. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

How often they are mentioned/quoted in established media concerning that field or community. For example, as a scientist, - how many citations they receive in a scientific journal.

13. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Thanks a lot for your answer man. Much appreciated.