1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding A question regarding cleaning acrylic

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Vaz, 10 Apr 2007.

1. Vaz

Vaz New Member

Hi guys,

I just placed an acrylic window in my pc panel. The problem I'm having is cleaning it. No matter what cloth I use it leaves it dusty/scratchy and sort of cloudy. What's the best way to clean it?

Kind regards,
    Vaz

2. mario_cell

mario_cell New Member

I would use the liquid u use for washing your windows :naughty:
    I never did it, but I think it's the best way

3. culley

culley New Member

How big is the panel? I would use a dremel with the buffer bit attached on and if its not to big buffer all those scratches away.

4. Mr-IK

Mr-IK Member

Just get some of those tissues you clean glasses with... can be bought at normal supermarkets :)

5. canucker

canucker New Member

wow,been a long time since ive been around!!my loss for sure.
    this is what i do and it works great.
    before cleaning,spray the window with compressed air,less chance of little dust,grime etc scratching.
    use eyeglass cleaner,and a lint free cloth

6. B[x]

B[x] New Member

If you've got minor scratches, some Novus Polish is what you want. However, if it's just dust and streak marks you want to be rid of, any lint-free cloth will do. If you're really a fanatic, Kimwipes should do the trick. I've used them in labs where the transparency of a container is crucial.

7. Vaz

Vaz New Member

hmm it's 3mm thick acyrlic. I've tried kitchen paper, tissue paper, glasses cleaning cloth (even though my one is sort of weird) and it doesnt do a good job. The acrylic doesnt remain clear but goes like.. cloudly sort.

I'm going to give the glasses cleaning cloth another shot. Perhaps my dad's cloth might do a better job!

@culley - panel window is quite big.

8. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Member

When one of my relatives was in hospital a while ago she found out that, that weird alcohol gel stuff used for sterilising visitors hands cleans glasses amazingly well. I dont know how it would work on acrylic, or where you would get something similair to it from but it might just work.

9. Arkantos

Arkantos New Member

you were saying the acrylic was going cloudy??

were you using any kind of thinner / cleaner??
    as it is, acrylic is soluble in many organic liquids. so if you use them to clean, it will melt the plastic.

best cleaner in my small opinion is water and liquid dishwashing soap.

Ark!

10. foxx

foxx New Member

Do you not have windex in Europe? What I clean my acrylic/ windows/ monitor/ mousepad/ painted metal/ other random bits and bobs. Along with just paper towels.