1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling A quiet cooling solution for Asus KFN4-DRE (Dual Socket F)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LuitvD, 20 Jan 2008.

1. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

It's been a while since I last posted on this forum... though I guess this question is one I can only get an answer to right here...

I've got an Asus KFN4-DRE motherboard, and the cooler that's on my processor now is designed for 1U servercases. This means I'll need a very loud air-current to cool the processor properly, making it hard for me to keep my computer a bit low-noise. Using a ducted 120mm fan on full speed gets me to the edge of the amount of noise I'd prefer, but gets the CPU running hot. And by hot I mean 104 degrees centigrade.

The problem about getting a better cooling is that very few silent coolers include Socket F mounting brackets.

Even more troublesome is the fact that my motherboard's second socket can't fet a normal-size cooler because of the graphics card. The default cooling block can be squeezed underneath the GPU cooler (an Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 on a 7900GT) but it can't be any bigger then that. A last problem is that the sockets are quite close next to eachother. From center to center there's about 11cm of distance. Maybe even less.

What would be my best option? Is there some sort of amazing offset heatpipe silent cooler that fits on socket F? Is it possible to add a bracket to accept Socket AM2 coolers? Or would water cooling be the most effective way to cool my system?

Tags: