1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A row over a lamb being sent to market

Discussion in 'Serious' started by C-Sniper, 14 Sep 2009.

1. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/kent/8255125.stm

:eyebrow::rolleyes:

Really? The kids knew what was going on the entire time and they even voted on it. I am not quite sure why everyone is getting worked up over this, and considering what the sheep went through he probably had a better life than most.

So what do you think of the situation?

I'm thinking lamb-chops for dinner.

2. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

That does sound like a pretty traumatizing event. What the heck were those educators thinking?

While humanity, compassion, respect, and understanding are good ideals to teach, PETA's a bunch of psychotics.

The lamb probably did have a better life than it would have otherwise. I wonder if they had a class dinner...

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

bit of mint sauce, all good :thumb:

4. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

To put it bluntly its a bloody lamb. Its one useful contribution is as a lamb chop on some ones plate. God why don't they just grow up its food, next they'll be asking us to take all the burgers from McDonalds and set them free in the wildness, actually thats a bad example I've tasted a McDonalds burger and I'm still unsure as to if its meat or not :p

Also mint sauce or even better mint jelly is for the win :)

kenco_uk likes this.
  5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

there's always one

6. C-Sniper

Good Call. Mint Jelly kicks ass!

[on topic]
    I can understand an outrage if they made the kids slaughter the sheep but since it was done at a slaughterhouse then I really see no issue on why people are getting worked up. Besides, they made a good choice with pigs for sausages!

7. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

PETA? Like they have a moral leg to stand on, after all they do support.....*dramatic music for our friends in the US* TERRORISTS!

Ahem, on topic though, the whole point was to raise an animal and have it slaughtered as part of the food chain. They raised it, probably treated it very nicely and played with it, the lamb probably enjoyed its life. As long as the slaughter was done humanely it's all good. They even let the student council vote on it ffs. Can't get fairer then that.

Now where's my mint jelly and roast potatoes?

8. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

They've got quite a way to go then to be beating PETA's record for slaughter.

9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

mint jelly? :eeek:

what is this madness?

10. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Good kids need to know where the food comes from and what better way to do it, apprently when they've sold the meat there getting pigs next to make sausages from.

11. C-Sniper

Sir,

It is called delectable madness.

I bid you good day. *tips hat*

12. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Mint jelly = win
    Plum sauce = win
    Apricot sauce = win
    Caramelized onions and/or mushroom = win
    or just straight medium rare lamb = win

depends what mood i'm in... i think next lamb night i'm gonna make a lamb burger, with lettuce tomato & sour light cream :naughty: which reminds me, i've gotta get the mrs to grab some sourdough :p:naughty::rock:

I love lamb, but getting to know your food before you kill it isn't something i would want to do, as in i wouldn't feel too good about it. The last thing i would want to do is become friends or even aquainted with an animal before turning him/her into supper :eeek:

Hopefully the kids have been taught to respect the animal which will be sacrificed so that we can live, instead of an attitude such as "let's torture it first before we kill it and eat it!"

13. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals ;)

I vote for mint jelly with my lamb! My mother made the best.

Plus mvagusta says it well.

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I vote for no filth with lamb other than slightly minted gravy. No need for anything spoiling the delicious meaty flavour.

I love the idea of this, and I'm glad that everyone (or thereabouts) actually associated with it has handled it properly and gone through with the whole thing. If they wussed out what kind of message would that send to children?

Too many people are in the dark about where and how their food comes, in order to make an informed decision about eating it you need to know how it's lived, how it's killed. Fluffy lambsykins isn't a cherished pet, it's food.

PETA can sod off tbh, cocksuckers.

15. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

that quote = win

I've never really had lamb, just lamb meat gyros (I don't think it was real lamb) but it was still very good

16. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

You've never had mint jelly?! where are you? ill send some, its a habit not just a condiment :thumb:

17. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Mint?
    Jelly?
    Mint Jelly?

Never even seen it, let alone eaten it.

18. Hardware150

Hardware150 Minimodder

i prefer mint sauce to mint jelly X:

19. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

As a vegi I disaggree with the whole idea of getting an animal just to show how it is killed, but I believe now that they have it it should be sent to the slaughter, even just to show what it is like and what you are doing when you eat meat.

20. Malvolio

Malvolio .

HOLY ****!? You're a vegetable?!

FOR ALL THAT IS HOLY, RUN, RUN NOW, THE PLANTS HAVE GAINED SENTIENCE!!!!

/paranoia

In all seriousness though, why does a life matter anyway? This is a concept I've never been able to truly understand. At my best guess, people see a "cute" face and immediately label it as though it is something that matters to them personally, like their own child. While yes, killing the lamb is aesthetically different to killing a plant, you're still committing murder. You're depriving something else of life.

How can somebody honestly be so daft as to think "ok, killing one thing to eat it is WRONG, so I'm just going to kill something else instead and eat that". It just doesn't make sense to me. Thiis kind of double-standard makes me feel as though the argument of PETA and other like-minded organizations are meaningless at best, and downright dangerous at worst.

The only real reason we don't eat each other is due to a complex interaction of chemicals and electrical impulses going on inside a very finite amount of carbon-based cells that tell us something along the lines of "lamb/carrot = yum; human = yucky".

So, please, save your nonsensical rantings about something that doesn't matter for somebody more around your intelligence level: a brick wall.

This rant wasn't levied against anybody in particular (unless you are stupid enough to think that killing and eating an animal is a bad thing, then it is aimed directly at you)

Scirocco likes this.