1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays A single 27 inch screen (Dell u2711) VS triple mointors (Dell U2311H) ...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dangerman1337, 21 Oct 2010.

1. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

For the build i'm doing soon i was thinking which would be better one big screen (dell u2711) or triple monitor (dell u2311h), my main purposes are gaming, photoshop and maybe movie watching. So which is better

Also how big is a desk (corner desk preferbly) required fit three 23 inch monitors when are swiveled horizontally with extra space to say fit a printer?

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

movie watching: single big one cos you can't split it across 3 monitors.
    photoshop: single big one plus a smaller one for tools. most important factor here is the viewing area for the image being edited.
    gaming: if you care about eyefinity, then 3 may be worth it. but it's limited list of games only.
    office work: 3 monitor probably be better, but neck strain may be a problem.

so, i'd say single big monitor should satisfy all your needs.

3. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

I couldn't tell you how much space 3 monitors would take up on your desk, but you can bet that it'll take up a lot of space :p. The nice thing is that monitors are on stands so their footprint is small and you can stash rubbish behind them ^^;

Anyway, I wouldn't go with the triple monitors by personal opinion because
    1) it'll cost more
    2) When gaming, the gpu has to work harder to do 3 displays rather than 1 big one
    3) You have those annoying plastic frames around the monitors so you have lines in the middle of your picture
    4) If you play an fps do you really want to have to turn your head left and right to see the whole picture?
    5) Movies on 3 screens would look similar to what you see when you see like a 5x5 cube of screens playing the same picture in a store or something. You're gonna have the lines from the plastic frames in the way and that would annoy me :p.

4. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

I forgot to say, movie watching will be now and then and not constant, and triple just looks tempting alot to me and most people who have used it say that the bezels don't matter though, its more to do with how much desk space and if i go with a big one, i won't easily be able to get two others and i could get a TV down the line for my movie watching.

5. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Gaming at 5760x1080 will quite literally murder your GPU(s), if that's what you were intending. Depending on the game, it may not even be possible. I've tried a variety of multi-monitor setups for games and not enjoyed any of them; the bezels break the suspension of disbelief and make it harder to focus, and the peripheral-vision aspect is cool but not worth the massive increase in GPU load. However, for Photoshop, I know a lot of users that have multiple screens handling various palettes and toolbars (does it sound like I know bugger all about Photoshop? I don't even know that much) - Pookeyhead's a user round here who does the same.

Personally, I'd go for the 27", maybe with a little side monitor for Photoshop gubbins. Multi-monitors are initially cool, and even useful in certain situations, but ultimately they're less than the sum of their parts. It's not natural to swivel your head around, the power consumption is mind-boggling, the cost is excessive and really Alt+Tab'ing isn't that strenuous.

6. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

About the GPU power, id be planning that i'd get a 69** single then upgrade the end of 2011 for Nvidia kepler or Ati's 7***. Also Three Dell u2311hs when calibrated properly actually consume less than one Dell u2711 supposdley.

7. General_Confusion

General_Confusion Now Where was I?

I would go with the 27" and a smaller secondary display.. I currently run with 2 monitors and like the setup while gaming. Have a web browser, ventrilo and other gadgets open on the 2nd monitor while playing on the primary. Putting a 3rd monitor on my current desk is not an option, there simply isnt enough room...and I dont think I would like it anyway.. The only way I think a triple set-up would work would be if you could set the screens a good way's back to limit the amount you would have to turn your head to see it all..

8. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

Hmmm it's just the fact i need good experiance of a triple monitor display, which i don't have at all :confused:.

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

With Windows 7 Aero Snap, when you work, you don't really need dual displays, as it's like you have 2 small displays already, if you get what I mean. As you snap each program to take half the screen each, just by moving the program on the edge of the screen. This works well on a 24inch, and even better on a larger screen such as your 27inch.

So, I would suggest that no triple screen is not worth it. Go with 2 screen. Also the U2710 is better than the 23inch model. It has better light spreading, more inputs (so you can plug about anything), and you have 2 pre-color calibrated profiles done for you using professional tools and get a full reports on it (Adobe RGB and sRGB). Be sure to keep the report with you, as Dell will ask it if you return the monitor (it's really a per monitor calibration, no 2 reports are the same).

Alternatively, 2x 24inch will do fine (2x U2410).

10. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

The main problem is the aspect ratio. Almost nothing supports 48:9 aspect ratio. Its like Nvidia PhysX, lots of advertisement but not much support.

Unless you want your imagine stretched 3 fold except in a few select games and demos. I would advise against going this route for gaming. Same thing with movies, any movies would be only 16:9. Once again, the movie can either run on one of the three monitors or run stretched.

The only thing 3 monitors would benefit is desktop work. Photoshop is ok and web browsing would be great too. At the same time not many images would be that wide and narrow so a lot of it is a waste. You also don't gain any vertical resolution. A nice 27" or 30" will probably fit an image better.

11. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

3 Monitors are the way to go when running lots of applications for work, i know from my work in a police control room, no way i would want to do it for gaming thought or home life thought and it does give you eye strain looking from left to right across three screens of information for several hours a time, take it from me i have been doing it five years and now i have to wear glasses for work or at home when using a computer or i get headaches after a hour because of the use of three monitors because they are at different angles, you have to swivel your head you have glare coming from all angles, anyhow that is what i am blaming anyway:geek:

12. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

That's what I'd go for if I had that much to spend on a monitor setup.

It gives you the best all round benefits of multiple monitors and good quality IPS panels, without being too wide that you literally have to turn your head to look from one side to the other. I would never go for 3 1080p monitors, at least in a horizontal configuration, since they're so wide and short they're only really useful if you have a specific use in mind that would make the most of them, and would require a ridiculous amount of desktop space (more than most desks provide).

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i find that hard to believe. with U2711, you'll only need to run it at 10 brightness. and if you look around the interwebs, you'll notice at low brightness settings, it will consume less than 50w of power when turned on.

im running my U2711 at brightness setting of 8, because any higher feels way too bright.

remember, these high quality panel you are buying does not require you to put on high brightness just to get less washed out image. its aim is to provide natural colour.

14. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

Actually your right, i just looked at flatpanelshd and according to them it can consume 60 watts when calibrated. Anyways its looking like the U2711 though if OLED displays come at around today's IPSs prices in a few years (hopefully 2013 /14) and have a very small bezel to no bezel, i'll buy a triple setup (23s).

15. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

The U2711 achieves a good 250nits brightness at 35% which is the output of most LED monitors at 100%. Though it still runs pretty warm, it definitely isn't going to be running at the 130W spec.

The Dell comes pre-calibrated. I find calibrating it further doesn't really help. Just a tiny difference. I can't even say if the colors are actually more accurate.

16. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

FYI you can stretch a film across all 3 monitors.
    Also, most games can run in eyefinity.

I have come from the Dell 3008wfp with 2x 20" dells in portrait, to 3 U2410. I would choose 3 monitors over 1 big one any day.

Simon.

Last edited by a moderator: 22 Oct 2010