1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice A starting point for gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AT0MAC, 2 Feb 2018.

1. AT0MAC

AT0MAC ~PC ninja~

I would like to know your thoughts on a system with these parts:

[​IMG]
    System is thought as a cheap starting point into gaming and a learning curve into building, upgrading and playing around with computers (also learning how to OC).

The machine is not for me personally, but a family member who have no real pc knowledge and just need a safe spot to start, at a low pricepoint, without it being rubbish.

I know, there is no SSD, there is only 1 stick of kind-of-slow RAM (RAM prices these days) and the case dont look super great, but it comes with 4xfans!
    I have found respected brand names and parts that are known to be reliable (as far as I can see on forums and in reviews).

Let me know if I'm totally wrong :)

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

What’s the budget??

3. AT0MAC

AT0MAC ~PC ninja~

undetermined, but these things cost about £600 here were im from (Denmark)

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

An SSD makes a huge everyday real world performance to a system. Even if it's just a cheap model with a bare minimum capacity I'd budget for one. 120GB is enough for Windows 10, some apps and the games you are playing most often (you mileage may vary though as some game installs can be huge these days).

Also Ryzen can take a fairly significant performance hit with single channel RAM, although that leaves you in the classic situation of choosing between performance and upgrade path if you only have 2 slots to play with.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen...ryzen_performed_in_a/?st=j1s1tx1x&sh=54516f49

Last edited: 3 Feb 2018
  5. AT0MAC

AT0MAC ~PC ninja~

but thats kind of the point with this system, to be a system the person can learn from, so to have upgrade steps that make a real world difference is not bad in this case

6. nimbu

nimbu Well-Known Member

I don't know what shipping to Denmark from the UK is like but might be worth keeping a eye in the fs forums.

Plenty of bargains to be had and let's you stretch that budget.

The only thing i would consider new is a good case and then work up from there.

7. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Morse Monkey

I get that you want them to be able to upgrade/learn etc, but you don't want it hamstrung from the word go, just for the sake of leaving a DIMM slot free for an upgrade.

8. silk186

silk186 Canadian

i would not start with one ram of DIMM with the thought of upgrading as that is the most common component for comparability issues.
    That is why they are sold in sets.

AT0MAC likes this.