1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other A tale of woe. Follow it here!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlienwareAndy, 20 Sep 2013.

1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Sorry to hear that Andy. As Noiz as said, it sounds like they nay have caught it early enough for something to be done. :)

2. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Sorry to hear about your mum.

Hopefully they have caught it early enough.

As for your pc I think your doing the best thing, in leaving it alone for a few days so that you can get your head around everything.

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

:( Sorry to hear this.

As above the best thing is to just come back to it when you feel like it.

That said it could be a welcome distraction when it is needed.

4. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your kind words.

I heard back from 'the company' this morning. They're offering a new board. It's a bit late now but I guess we'll see what happens.

5. AlienwareAndy

Update.

Well blimey, it seems miracles do happen (and huge mistakes it seems).

Mum went for her biopsy this morning. The doctor could not find anything. So they spent from 6am until mid day re-running tests and scans - nothing.

Yet the doctor on Tuesday was certain it was cancer. Not a mention of the fact that it may not be cancer, just 'what type we are dealing with'.

So we're all very happy today :D

6. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

Gosh. What a turn around.

Celebrate! Then get overclocking :D

7. AlienwareAndy

Damn straight ! Should be at least 4.5 now.

I've also heard back from the company.. Apparently they want to collect the board and CPU to test them. So hopefully whatever is damaged will be paid for which can come off of what I just spent.

If the CPU comes back as OK then that will be an easy sell :)

8. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Pretty amazing turnaround. Sometimes when you think all hope is lost then something good happens.

It sounds like a wake-up call to realize what's important. Life is an endless sequence of distractions that can take us away from what's important.

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

By the way, if you buy something, and it fails, the company who supplied the failing components are not liable for damage to the rest of the components in the system.

10. AlienwareAndy

Yeah for sure man. The doctors were absolutely convinced it was cancer. They told her to pretty much prepare for the worst, and what sort of treatments could be involved.

The messed up part is mum has a wicked sense of humour. A couple of years back she got a intestinal virus that caused her all sorts of problems, and she joked around saying it was cancer...

I bought her a lamb rump joint haha. Told her to eat up :D

So I can now concentrate on my PC once more. I did end up with a cat that's non returnable (Mum asked me to take her incase she had to go into hospital but she has arthritis and couldn't look after her any more). So yeah, she's usually sat by my side (a gorgeous F4 snow bengal).

11. Stanley Tweedle

Nice, so new bits, you get to keep your mum and you have a cat!

I'd love a cat again. Mine was diagnosed with feline AIDS a little over a year ago and we were told he'd have to stay indoors for the rest of his life. Well he escaped later that week with a scratch-cone on his head and never returned :(

If he'd been unharmed he would have returned (unless someone took him and re-homed him).

I'd never even heard of cat AIDS until then but apparently it's quite common. Not transferable to humans fortunately.

12. AlienwareAndy

It didn't fail. It was made through negligence so yeah, I am covered, well. It's called Product Liability and being the autistic chap that I am I have spent the entire week bookworming it.

The MAKER is 100% responsible for any damage caused due to negligence or poor workmanship. If the maker is not in the country of purchase then the person who imported it is responsible.

It also covers personal injury and the company I bought it from will have the appropriate insurance in place (they have to to legally trade).

Stanley - that's very sad :( all of my cats have been indoor cats and run the other way when you open the door (they've been bred as such).

13. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Hey

Glad you're mum's diagnosis was a false alarm.

The big C is a scary sonofabitch but a bit random in who it strikes, where, how and and how hard.

I've known one person to go real young from knee cancer (I mean knee cancer! How rubbish is that?) but my rather old father in law made a full recovery from lung cancer, which has awful mortality rates but he got the diagnosis early.

I also have a friend who years ago went through hell with bowel cancer. Chemo wasn't nice but it knocked the cancer for six. He went on two have a daughter (now age 8) and has just had a second. He was one of the performers in the London Olympics opening ceremony and has just taken up Parkour as a hobby... which has more to say about him going through a mid life crisis than it does about survival rates of cancer.

Almost anything can be beaten, even unstable computers. I know how it feels when hardware reliability affects your inner happiness.

And I'm with you on not sending the fried hardware back to Amazon. It wasn't their fault, why make them pay the price.

14. AlienwareAndy

Yeah the big C is terrifying. TBH when I found out it was like some one smacked me in the mouth with a sledge hammer. I just sat there dazed and completely lost for words.

It took nearly three days for me to come out of the shock. I was sitting there sweating profusely for no real reason :(

Our family isn't really known for cancer. Now crappy hearts? oh hell yeah. My dad died @ 35 on a football pitch and his dad only made it to about 45. My dad's brother had a double bypass and made it to around 69 (though he creaked like something else lol).

Thankfully I get tested for that on the regular. My brother had to go on Statin but I've been pretty fortunate. The one thing that is concerning me is my weight. The meds I'm on (tons of, none of which are particularly nice) are making my sugar levels rocket so I need to be constantly checked for that too :)

I mean I would say that all of this makes me appreciate having my mother more, but that isn't really possible. Any woman who can lose her husband and then work her ass into the ground, never claiming any benefits is a hero in my book. Not once did I ever hear her complain, she would just give us the "Don't be so bloody ungrateful, there are people out there much worse off than you".

Which is why her having something as evil as cancer made me furiously angry.

15. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Glad to see your mum is ok mate.

Also good to hear that the company you are dealing with are going to test what is faulty regarding your pc and hopefully you won't be left out of pocket.

16. law99

law99 Custom User Title

At least you have your good looks? :thumb:

I know what you mean... S'why I steal my work laptop for when I **** things up. Considering how much stuff I have I'm quite lucky that I have as little issues as I do. When my av receiver died though... :'(

17. AlienwareAndy

Thanks guys ! Yeah I'm actually building up some excitement now for the bits I've ordered as replacement. I've got an absolutely drool worthy Asus Crosshair V Formula Z coming, yay :D Looking forward to big overclocks..

Law - my autistic obsession used to be audio gear. But, just as with my PC I took it to extreme excess. For example, at one point I had two 18" folded horn subwoofers + a third 18" subwoofer plus three power amps, a pre amp and a Rogers E40A phono valve amp for the 10" mids and highs. This is all in a bedroom.

In the end I wound it down to one 18" trapezoidal folded horn, a 2000 watt 2ohm Soundmaster power amp and the Rogers valve amp. It was enough to land me some fines from the council. I really feel for my neighbours tbh.

18. Stanley Tweedle

STAX headphones

I had a hifi obsession in the 80's but not as much as a friend of mine who spent £800 on a turntable called The Rock (for obvious reasons... it was made of stone in places). Krell amplifiers, £800 DAC + CD, Linn Sondek. He'd spend £200 on a pair of phono cables.

19. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

I worked with an Aspie recently.
    Scottish guy.
    Almost drove me round the ****ing bend.
    No matter how many times I told him the right way to do things, he insisted on doing things his (very slow) way, drove me bananas. (I work as a Service Management Lead, all processes)
    Thanks **** he got found out and 'let go' when his contract expired.

20. Stanley Tweedle

"the right way to do things" << Was he doing things incorrectly?