1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards A weird and unusual way to boot with and old MB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kim, 1 Apr 2021.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

It may sound outdated to write this kind of tip in 2021, but I found it funny and I never saw that tip before so why not sharing it...
    It turns out I had to install a computer to run windows 7, so as to commission an old Dell laser printer with no support for Windows 10, so I picked up an old motherboard, CPU and compatible RAM sticks, I added a SSD and threw everything into a case... plugged in a bootable windows 7 USB key and pulled it on.
    It started right, but in the boot options, they were no USB option :oldconfused: only CDrom, Floppy and hard drive...:eyebrow:
    I scoured all the bios tabs and tried all options, and all availiable USB ports unsuccessfully :sad:
    So I started to think about digging out a DVD writer and get back to old ways, when I suddenly had a weird idea :idea: :lol:
    I took a hard drive, and I copied off the files from the Windows7 bootable USB key to the hard drive, I linked the hard drive to my old MB, and in the bios, I selected it as the prioritary one for boot and restarted...
    My gosh :jawdrop: it worked...:hehe: I was so happy and I must say I never read this tip before as a solution to boot with old motherboards without USB boot options :grin:

Arboreal, Cheapskate and Bloody_Pete like this.
  2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Did your BIOS not pick your USB stick as a hard drive? Most old ones do.
    Failing that I would have used Plop Boot Manager :)

kim and wyx087 like this.
  3. kim

kim hardware addict

No :nono:, it didn't want to boot on my USB key, and I am talking about an old USB 2.0 of 4 GB, not a big nor recent, or 3.0 one...:eyebrow: I installed umpteen PC with that particular USB stick :sigh: I admitt I was pretty surprised it failed...but I will make a try with the one you mentioned, I don't know this Plop boot manager ... :grin:
    For the record, the mother-board is a MCP 61PM - HM
    [​IMG]
    Now it works well with Windows 7 64bit on a SSD, 8 go of RAM, and a Phenom 9650, a little GPU, I even reach 7.9 in the W.E.I :grin:, funny to run that, but the printer is causing me hassles now, and I still can't print because of paper jam issues :sigh:

Last edited: 6 Apr 2021