1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage abnormal HDD over-heat runs Icydock alarm

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kim, 20 Apr 2019.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

Hello everyone :grin:
    Like some of us, years after years, I raised a few To of datas in my hard drives, and I already lost datas in the past because of a HDD defection, and since, I am watching carefully my HDD's health and temperatures, mainly with CristalDiskInfo, and doing backups as much possible, but there are too much to backup everything.
    Anyway, my main computer, has got 12 sata ports, and my 12 HDD are inside those excellent IcyDock Data-cages with fans like that
    [​IMG]
    It turns out I baught a new 3To HDD, like 2 weeks ago, a Western digital, to replace an old one, and I transferred datas on it succesfully, without any problem since.
    The new HDD was inside one of these cages, between 2 other ones (in the middle drawer).
    2 days ago, one of the HDD cages tripped the alarm, and there were 2 disks over heating, so I immediately removed them. Both were extremly hot, one was a very old one, it was in the top drawer, and the second one just under, was my recently baught 3to...:miffed:
    I was pissed off because I skipped garantee when I baught it :grr:, but yesterday, I tried to put it back and run Cristaldisk, it was healthy with 31°, and since yesterday, there's not anymore abnormal heating from this unit after hours of R/W operations...
    So my question is simple :hehe:
    Is it possible that the heat of the old HDD, have been transmitted to the one below, running both alarms ?
    a last question...
    does anyone has an idea to be sure of an HDD's health except CristalDiskInfo ?
    thanks for reading

2. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Western Digital do some software called datalifeguard, that might be a good thing to check it with.

3. kim

kim hardware addict

Thanks for your reply Spolsh, I'll try that today.

4. kim

kim hardware addict

I ran Datalifeguard and it didn't find any problem on my new WD 3to, no doubt it was
    the defective HDD over heat, over heated is neighbour :grin:
    I'm thankfull to Icydock anyway, this was a smart investment