1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About Barrowch PWM 17w pump intelligent edition

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by kim, 7 Jan 2020.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

Hi guys
    I'm opening this thread both for presenting this product in case of some people would like to know more about it, and also because I am myself wondering about some potential issues, besides a few technical questioning; and I thought may be some of you could enlight me...:grin:
    So I am gathering parts for a double loop WC, and I had a crush for the new Barrowch WC products,
    particulary the Boxfish reservoirs and the 17w PWM intelligent edition pumps...
    Aliexpress and generally most of Chinese products are not very popular, the past has proven that there were many crappy stuff and swindles, but I think some Brands are really trying to stand out, like Barrowch or Bykski.
    After several weeks of waiting, I received the pumps, I have to mention that you can find these pumps with 2 different options, and I ordered one of each. One version is coming full mounted, the other one comes in kit.
    [​IMG]
    The kit version is meaned to be mounted on a water-board, so it comes with a set of screws, an Allen key, 4 plastic washers, the pump o-ring, and another o-ring ?...the black smaller one in the middle on the previous pic, I don't know what for.
    I dismounted the full mouted version to see it's purpose without finding it inside so it may have a set on the water-board but I don't really know and I regret that they are no further informations about the mounting options on the little operating instructions manual.
    You can find several videos of this pump on Utube or else like this one:

but all are only speaking about the functions of the pump and the Oled screen options or how to link it with the motherboard, same on Aliexpress site.
    For the full mounted version, there are no mounting screw holes or bracket provided, so it means it is supposed to be hold in place by the fittings and tubes system itself?
    I wrote to the store owner about the mounting and she replied politely this:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ok, thanks, well, but I don't really like the self tapping screws idea, and even I found some suitable bracket, it stills needs screw holes to tap...I can do it, but it could be daunting for most buyers..:dremel:
    About the kit version, it comes with mounting screws, well, but still, I noticed one odd thing, you can see on the picture below the diference between both pumps mountings:
    [​IMG]
    on the water-board version, the screw holes are not threaded, but they seems small enough to guide the screws straightly through the pump, on the other hand, the holes in the aluminium body are much bigger and the screw is kinda "floating" inside, wich doesn't helps to line up parts together...
    [​IMG]
    Another interrogation is about the wires of the Oled screen, I did the mounting and I realised that this bunch of wires is so thick that you have to arrange them on the side of the connector by twisting them, but it must be pressed firmly to set the top part and the wires are obviously flattened against the PCB, so what can happen after hours of use ? PCBs are heating I bet, what you think?
    [​IMG]
    That's all for now, I must stop for today, but there are still things I want to ask and discuss about those pumps, so I hope I will get feedback, it's an open thread..
    thanks for reading

2. kim

kim hardware addict

hi guys, well...no feedback yet :grin:, nevermind, thanks to readers at least :thumb:
    Well, today, a pack from China arrived...and even if I am patient, this particular order has been abnormally long to come, and it was not the only surprise...I'll tell you why after...so here are the Barrowch Boxfish reservoirs 250 mm
    [​IMG]
    I ordered those on the 15th of november 2019, I received it today the 14th of January 2020...:wallbash:
    I have no complains about the items themselves, very beautiful and answering to my expectations in terms of quality and workmanship, the boxes were correctly protected as well, so no damages neither, just this long winded waiting whereof responsability lies with French Customs :sigh:
    As a matter of fact, I have been one of the winners of the French Customs "shameful rip-off" lottery :rock::clap:, and I had to joyfully pay 56 Euros of Customs fees, to be punished of buying products abroad, even when nothing similar is provided in Europe, and if all big companies are unrestrictedly delocalizing to earn more money, but that's France, i'm used to it...

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun.

I think it's great seeing more competition in the Watercooling market. Watercool (of Heatkiller fame) even have Barrow fittings on their on online shop, so must be decent. Offering more function and integration of controls into the parts themselves is great and hopefully it will grow into a whole ecosystem that works together.