1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music About cassette players

Discussion in 'General' started by mystvearn, 27 Jun 2012.

1. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

I have this hifi: Panasonic SA-PM11 5CD Changer but the cassette player does not work any more. Everything else works, remote still there. Only other problem is that I have lots of old cassette collection which I have yet to encode into mp3. I already encoded 3/4 (I think about 200 cassettes) of it until the cassette finally died on me.

I don't want to buy some hi-fi since the speakers still works well. Looking for a reliable cassette player which can last. I have three hi-fi's at home most with two cassettes players with CD changer and all of cassette players on the hi-fi's are dead. Everything else aside from that works. I also had this walkman-it died as well

What are my options? Buy a walkman and hook it to the cassette player? Ideally if I get that same panasonic model or any other mini hi fi model that size without the speakers would be great too. I'm guessing ebay is my best bet

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Tried ebay for the cassette deck of a hifi separates system? Some of the more modern ones have usb for just your purpose.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

4. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

If you are only wanting it to record your current collection and not for long-term listening on cassettes then you may well be better off hiring something like a Tascam tape deck and using that for a short while to do the recording, then returning when the hire period is finished. Will give you a much higher quality of playback as well.

5. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

I never knew there was a cassette player with USB. Previously, I attached cables from mic out on the stereo to mic in on the PC, used audacity to record it. Which model has this?

Thanks for the suggestion. If there is this USB port cassettes it will save me time of hooking my pc to the radio.

Problem is I keep buying old cassettes, listen then encode them :D It would be great to find something that I can own.

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I haven't used one so wouldn't like to recommend a particular model. Google is probably a good place to start.

7. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Yep I would go with the Walkman option just because you don't know if modern decks are charging you more for the USB out and the tape transports aren't so good.

Argos's last Sony no-frills Walkman is http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerms/5129711.htm

The other model with longer playback if you use better batteries is in the alternatives box below it (or search cat no 5127634 ), but that's 33 quid. It depends just how wedded to tape you still are, it took me five years to digitise everything I wanted from the old format before I couldn't be bothered anymore.

8. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

Did a quick search, the USB tape decks cost like £30. I could get a used hifi on ebay for less. A little hassle of going through audacity is fine with me.

I think it took me 3 years to cover 3/4 of my tapes. Stopped doing it for two years now after the cassette became faulty. I'll search around at car boots, charity shops, if not I'll go to ebay. Seems like the best bet anyway.