1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice About to start building my rig, anything I need to know?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pughy, 27 Jan 2011.

1. Pughy

Pughy Fancy a game of Starcraft?

Hey guys, I'm about to start building my rig now that I've got all the parts but I thought I'd make a thread just incase anyone has some advice for me.

Parts:

Overclocked bundle from scan:
    h50
    ud4
    8gig vengeance

PSU: NXZT 850
    GPU: 6950
    Case: Storm Sniper
    HDD: 1TB f3 samsung
    SSD: 64gb c300
    Drive: standard drive
    extra fan: noctua 120mm (gonna use for push/pull on the h50)

So yeah, if anyone has any advice I'd be very thankful :)

Take care guys.

2. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

ground yourself and enjoy yourself :D I love building systems

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Only thing I'm not sure on is the PSU.

Have fun otherwise!

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

PSU is overkill and have no idea how NZXT psus are or have seen anything from them so by default it stay away from it.

grab a known decent 550-650W PSU and it will be fine.

if your going with sandybridge it runs very cool and the H50 is not needed even for high overclocks never mind your adding an extra fan.

can save a bundle of money just by opting for a Thermaltake Frio, titan fenrir or gelid tranquillo one

5. Pughy

I've already got all the items, I mean I'm physically building the rig now and I've never built one before so tips/advice about that is what I'm after.

I done alot of research on the power supplies and they got good reviews so I'm pretty sure I'll be safe, and its not a budget one either (they cost £140). Yeah its alittle overkill but I might crossfire in future and at the power consumption I'll be using the PSU will give off next to no sound (which I found very apealing).

6. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Nope mate its easy, installing the OS is normally the biggest pain

7. adam_bagpuss

my bad should have :read:

just take it slow and follow the instruction on how to fit things.

installing windows 7 after the build is piece of cake - disc in, click install, job done

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Make sure you enable AHCI in the BIOS bofore installing the OS!!!!

And also plug the C300 in Sata port 0 or 1!

9. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

oh just thought of something really useful,

if you've got a pc you can use now and a spare 4gb usb pen download windows 7 usb tool which lets you install from a usb drive.

seriously soo much faster than using a disk installed for me in atleast a quater of the normal time

10. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

For push/pull on the h50 ideally you need 2 identical fans or at least very close airflow characteristics.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This this this this this!!

http://store.microsoft.com/help/iso-tool

Use this.

Set ACHI mode in the BIOS under SATA settings.

Set to boot from USB stick

Go make a cup of tea.

12. Pughy

Can i use an externel hard drive? Or do they have software already on them which can mess it up? I would wipe mine but theres alot of photos and other stuff which I want to keep.

Thanks.

EDIT: Also, whats the difference? I've already purchased my w7 64 OEM so why not just stick the disk in?

13. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

I notice some people were talking about the NZXT psu. If that's the Hale90 850W power supply, the thing comes with an 80+Gold rating, and from my research of NZXT's Hale90 line of power supplies, it delivers quite well. You don't need to worry about the power supply at all. The only reason why nobody recommends them is because they're really expensive in the UK compared to in the US.

here's the jonnyguru review notice the reason why the score is low is because of the value not performance or functionality.

Also as scott_chegg said the H50 is known to work much much better when set up with 1 extra fan in a push/pull config.

14. biFFon

biFFon What's a Dremel?

Only really worth it if you use a USB stick - the only gain is simplicity and speed of install.

If you're unsure just stick the CD and do a standard install!

15. Pughy

Alright guys, I set everything up but theres an issue. The machine wont boot.

When I tried to turn it on the green LED on the motherboard flashed and that was it. The fan in the PSU starts to spin but then dies.

I'm not great with PC's and I had someone here who helped me with all the final wiring and stuff and we tried a bunch of different things. We took out all connectors to the mobo, eg: ssd, hd, optical drive, fans etc etc. Same thing

Then we removed the power from the gpu and it beeped really loud and still nothing, took the gpu out from the mobo and back to the normal green led on the mobo. we took removed all cables goin from the case to the mobo and tried with a piece of metal connecting the power thingys, same thing.

So could this be a psu problem? Its either that or the mobo or the cpu and seems its an oc'd bundle from scan they've already tested them both and done 24 hour burn tests. ofcourse theres a chance I maybe damaged them but we wont know until we test the psu tomorrow i guess.

But yeah i'm just wondering if anyone has any idea of what the problem could be?

thanks guys.

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Have you plugged the CPU power cable into the motherboard?

Are the RAM sticks in the right slots?

The GPU beeping is probably a lack of power.

17. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I really want one of them PSU's. They just look so slick.
    On topic: As said above check the ram. 9 time out of 10 it's the ram that causes boot problems.
    Try plugging out the HDD and just leaving in the SSD.
    If the green light come on that means there is power going through the board so i doubt the PSU is at fault.

18. Pughy

Alright guys, I've built the machine now (using it) and its working, everythings installed to the SSD but it can't find my other hd. How do I go about setting it up? Does it matter what sata2 port i put the hd into?

thanks for replies

19. adam_bagpuss

you will need to initialise it firs then do a format on it.

go to computer managment and the disk management and set up the HDD from there.