1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AC Freezer 64 Pro, Noisy?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rupbert, 6 Mar 2007.

1. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Having read many reviews of the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, I was lead to believe it was very quiet.

I wanted rid of my water cooling kit to make room for more drives, and this evening I sat down to fit the Freezer 64 on my AMD X2 3800+...

To my horror I noticed the fan used a 4-pin connector used for PWM, a connection my DFI Lan Party SLI-DR does not cater for :(

I knew however the 4-pin connector can be fitted on a 3-pin header, but unfortunately on the DFI the cpu fan header is placed right next to a capacitor, and thus the 4-pin does not fit :(

So I used another 3-pin fan header on the board and it works.

However.

To me the fan sounds noisy, it's running at 2200rpm constantly and it keeps my X2 3800+ (overclocked to 2.4Ghz) at a very cool 32c idle.

Now considering this, to me it sounds like the fan is running at full speed even though it dosn't need too.

Is it because it's not on the cpu header?

I know I've came from a quiet water cooling setup, but people who have this cooler say it's very quiet, and this isn't.

:confused:

2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

get a 7 or 5v resistor cable, it will cut the noise to a nicer level.

3. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

I can't find any 4-pin to 3-pin though :(

Oh and it's not a 4-pin molex I'm talking about.

Last edited: 6 Mar 2007
  4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

just cut/heatshrink the fourth wire off? Actually I ordered one to replace my boxed cooler yesterday after full workday of researching :p In my mobo there's the four pin connector and I really hope it can adjust the speed.

You could also get a Zalman Fanmate. A bit more expensive than the wiretrick/resistor, but lets you find the sweet spot between noise and cooling power.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If you've got it connected to the header on your board, turn on the fan management (Q-fan?), in the PC Health section. It's absolutely awesome, and it controls all the fans in my case one way or another (>10 fans) and they're all silent (or close enough). :D

Doesn't work for one of the ones on the bottom though, don't know why, but there you go tbh. :confused:

6. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

@ Krikkit

Does it matter which header? I'm not aware of any Q-Fan settings in the bios either.

7. Krikkit

There's several different headers to choose from in there, including the Northbridge, but I think the bottom one furthest away from the backplate is automatically controlled with the CPU header, and the one closest has no form of control at all.

That's only in my experience, but I'm probably wrong. I'm sure it'll be in there, I don't think it's an Expert-only feature, but I haven't used an SLi-D/DR, only this board.

8. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

The problem is the fan cable is short and only reachers 'Fan 2' header, the one that's directly above the CPU fan header...

EDIT

Got it sorted :thumb:

In the PC Health section of the bios, it allows you to set when the fan connected to the 'Fan 2' header should be fully on.

The default was for it to be at full speed at temperatures above 35c.

This made sense, as for the first few minutes the fan was barely audible, then it sped up to full speed.

Checking MotherBoardMonitor showed that after several minutes the CPU would idle at 37c, so obviously the fan would be at full speed 99% of the time.

So I changed the bios setting to 45c, and now it seems to run just under 900rpm for most of the time.

:)

Thanks for the help/suggestions guys.

Last edited: 6 Mar 2007
  9. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Safe and easy enough to cut the 4th bit away? I don't wanna make it unusable :)

10. Krikkit

Good to see you've got it sorted. It's a real improvement tbh, it was a big change from my NF3 DFI to this, as the other one didn't actually have fan control, which was a real pain.

11. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

I think I'll cut the 4th part of though, as it's currently in the 'Fan 2' header, the bios thinks it's the system fan and thus it tends to come on at full speed even if the cpu temperature is < 40c...

12. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Well I removed the 4th unused part, and it's now conected to the cpu fan header...

It works really well, very quiet. I've set the bios to bring the fan fully on at > 47c, and only when playing games for a while does it come on.

An excellent cooler :)

13. Jipa

Nice to hear you got the prob solved :) Still waiting for my one to arrive...

14. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

@ Jipa

Thanks, I imagine it would be even better when the PWM is used.

I'll be buying the 775 version when I switch to Intel

:)

15. Jipa

How much did you pay for it btw? It cost 15 euros in the place where I ordered it..