1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accustoming a CPU to higher voltages

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sbarts, 22 Dec 2004.

1. sbarts

sbarts What's a Dremel?

I've read on these forums people who say that sometimes CPU's don't initially react well to increases in their core votage and this can be got around by increasing the voltage over time. How would I go about this? How long do you leave it at one voltage before increasing it. When you increase the voltage is it also wise to increase the FSB at the sametime or wait until the processor get use to the new voltage and do it then?

Thanks for any help

Si

Last edited: 22 Dec 2004
  2. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

There's no need to do that at all. Run Sandra's burn in wizard if you like ;)

3. sbarts

sbarts What's a Dremel?

I'm not concerned about testing the stability of my system just how to get more out of it by allowing the CPU time to adjust to higher voltages. I'm told that this can be done.

4. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

Well this isnt something that i have ever been 100% sure on what to do, and i'm no stranger to overclocking. Having said that, the way i understand it is, you would leave the CPU running standard(ish) FSB and multi settings, up the voltage to the limit where you start having instabilities or just below, then run several instances of prime at the same time for an extended period of time. While your at it you may aswell burn in the RAM at the same time, same process just increase the vDimm

5. sbarts

sbarts What's a Dremel?

Ok thanks. How long do you think I should run prime for? I presume when it's running stable with no errors I then start to up the FSB?

Cheers

6. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

Well, it should be running stable at the start as you wont be pushing the CPU to its limit, your only making it "get used to" the extra voltage. Run it for as long as you can really, I would say 12 hours at least but its not an exact science, make a judgement call ;)

7. sbarts

sbarts What's a Dremel?

excellent, thanks for your help.

Have a good christmas

8. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

and you mate :D ... GL with the clocking ;)

9. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

There is another popular method, which is to first underclock the processor and then increase the voltage-and then run a burn-in wizard. That should do nicely, and be safer :)

10. sbarts

sbarts What's a Dremel?

Thanks. I'll give it ago after Christmas.

11. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

:S sorry date and time are wrong, new mobo and everythings wierd