1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acer AL1715 Monitor Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by muther trucker, 11 Jun 2008.

1. muther trucker

muther trucker I've got a Dremel?

Current Status: Doomed until fixed

Right, bought this monitor from eBay, got it for a decent price! - Now I think I know why :(

The Monitor: Acer AL1715 (specific model: Acer AL1715t AUO Panel)

The Problem: Plugged power supply + vga cable in, turned the monitor on; I get the Acer logo displaying for what seems like quarter of a second! (my other acer monitor [AL1714] displays it for about 2 seconds when powered on). Then the screen flickers bright white, then black, then displays the extended desktop for about half a second, then goes back to black, might flicker white again before staying on black. It will then go to standby after several seconds.

Also, I can't at any point access the menu on the monitor, even though I can press the "auto" button, and I notice the screen go though its auto calibration for a second.

Causes?
    • NOT the graphics card
    • Don't think it's the VGA cable, it DOES display the image (even though its a split second)
    • NOT the power supply, definatly supplies power to the monitor
    • Could it be the Capacitors? - I've seen this problem before
    • Or some other issue? - I really don't know

First off, I'm going to get a short video clip of this tomorrow morning, just to explain further whats going on.

Second, I've taken it apart and checked out for shorts, doesn't seem like any there, and all the connections are in good order.

If anyone has anything that could help, please do!

Update:
    P.s. The person on eBay has now refunded the money, and told me to keep the monitor!?

Still want the help though! :)

I'm going to check the capacitors for damage in the morning, hopefully it might highlight any problems.

[Video of my problamatic screen :(]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snIzQvZPQOE

Update:
    The person on eBay has told me that there is no receipt and doesn't know who the screen was originally purchased / registered too.

Pretty much renders Acer's warrently useless to me :evil:

Pictures of my Acer AL1715 Boards...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

yep definatly fubar'd

in the vid, it looks as if the screen is trying to sort out its default res, but it isn't happening.

you could try dropping it a few times maybe pooring water into it, as the person before most likely did something like that. lol!

3. muther trucker

It does the same thing even without being connected to the PC :grr: (minus displaying the desktop for a split second).

I'm a bit annoyed that I can't get the warrenty, but I'm not going to drop / punch / soak in water to see if it works, it looks a perfectly good screen!

I'm thinking of replacing some of the capacitors when I have the time. Shouldn't cost a lot, and could prove useful.

Any other thoughts? - Or spotted anything blindingly obvious?!

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

it looks worse than just a few caps, in the days of the old CRT a dry joint could cause you to suddenly lose a colour, usually turning my old screen pink, after a few minutes with a soldering iron and plenty of swearing as the cap was in a akward place i would have full colour back.

How ever TFT and LCD repairs i dont think are that easy. you could have a buggered IC in there and not know.

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

looking at the power supply pic, a few components look as if they have been damaged from excessive heat. source marks on the top of the copper windings.

find the power supply output voltages and then check them with a multimeter.

6. muther trucker

To be fair those marks look more like markings from a fibre tipped pen :( But I'll have a go.

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

you might be right, its difficult to tell from a picture.

8. Squadexodus

Squadexodus I got my cookie. What about you?

Its not much of a waste to try. The seller refunded your money, and you get the monitor. Im pretty sure those are just pen markings.

9. muther trucker

The monitor has been taken apart (once again) and I feel its the displays PCB letting me down. It wasreleasing a siginifican *buzzing* soun. I could hear thins before i opened the case, but once inside and able to lacate it, its from the LCD's PCB. So, for that reason I'm either going to give up, or find a replacement LCD for it.

10. BlueOcean

BlueOcean What's a Dremel?

If you still have problems or damage the Acer's monitor, get replacement for it.

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

read the post you dam quoted, its says very cleary that its out of warrenty.

'Pretty much renders Acer's warrently useless to me :evil:'

12. muther trucker

Apart from quoting my entire post, which you've not read, I'm now selling the monitor on for spares and repairs on eBay.

I'll be happy once this has gone.