1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Acer aspire: windows installation issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kim, 28 May 2022.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

Good day to all
    I come to seek for help again, but I think I will just stop trying to fix laptops for people from now :nono:
    It's obvious that laptops and notebooks are designed not to be fix, and manufacturers do their best to make the process boring or complicated as hell :miffed:
    Anyway, I don't know how to get out of this new installation issue, and it starts to annoy me, because I really don't see what is the problem :sigh:
    The laptop is an Acer Aspire E15 E5-573G-P5LG
    The problem was a dead hard drive, I just replaced the dead one by a new one, and plugged a USB stick with Windows 10, then I went into the Bios to disable secure boot, and I changed the boot order to "USB" saved it and restarted, but it said "no bootable device" :eyebrow:
    I have a few usb2.0 4GB sticks used to install Windows, so I tried with different USB stick, likewise swapping it from all the USB ports availiable on the laptop with the same result :oldconfused:
    I went back into the BIOS to check out all tweaks and menus, looking for some option I could have miss, but I don't get it :wallbash:
    Any clue?
    thanks for reading

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

If you have a correctly made Windows 10 installation USB stick, you shouldn't need to disable Secure Boot. How was the USB stick made?
    Might also be worth updating the UEFI/BIOS.

If it really won't boot from a USB stick, you can manually install Windows from another PC with the hard drive from the Acer plugged into it. To do that just boot up into Windows as normal then do the following from terminal/command prompt (you'll also need your install USB plugged in).
    x = disk number of Acer hard drive.
    z=USB stick drive letter.
    Code:
    diskpart
    list disk
    sel disk x
    clean
    convert gpt
    cre par efi size=100
    format quick fs=fat32 label=System
    assign letter=S
    cre par msr size=16
    cre par pri
    shrink minimum=500
    format quick fs=ntfs label=Windows
    assign letter=W
    create partition primary format quick fs=ntfs label=Recovery
    assign letter=R
    set id=de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac
    gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001
    exit
    dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:z:\sources\install.esd (this should list the available images, make a note of the index number. If it doesn't, run dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:z:\sources\install.esd /index:1 and increase the index number each time until you find the image you want).
    dism /apply-image:z:\sources\install.esd /index:1 (or whatever your index is) /apply-dir:w:\
    w:\windows\system32\bcdboot w:\windows /s s:
    exit

Then bob your hard drive back into the Acer.

kim likes this.
  3. kim

kim hardware addict

Thank you so much @noizdaemon666
    My USB booting sticks are created with Rufus, and I am pretty used to do that, besides, I really tried with several sticks, focusing on smallest USB 2.0 ones first, but also with USB 3.0 sticks, all formated in Fat32, with the correst UEFI/legacy settings in Rufus...but every time it was : "no bootable device"
    In spite, I also tried to boot using f12 to access the boot options instead of tweaking it into the BIOS when starting, but there are of course no devices there as well :miffed:
    For the record, and I hate myself not to have keep on installing this time, but it was my third try to install Windows, and...it booted once :blush: :worried:, it was with a W10 pro full version, that was not the best choice of OS for a sluggish laptop, so still confident at the moment, I interrupted it, and since I never been able to boot again even with the same stick and OS version :sad:
    I plugged out the M2 again and clean it again under Diskpart, then I created a new NTFS partition, to win some time, as Windows installer usually offers to delete and create the GPT partitions itself, but I never reached that point again :sigh:
    I will try all what you posted tomorow, unfortunately I work like a dog this week and my time is limited, but I have strong hopes i will succeed with your method :thumb::hip:
    I thank you again and wish you a good day...
    to be continued:grin:

4. kim

kim hardware addict

Installation successfull, thanks a lot again :thumb: