1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Acer launches Ion 2 netbook

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 16 Feb 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. retrogamer1990

retrogamer1990 What does 'Stock' Mean?

why make a netbook that can play 1080p HD content, with a non-HD screen and no optical drive?

3. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I'd only pay £400 max for one of these because most games still need a cpu faster than 1.66ghz ! I really don't see the point if a 15" laptop can do a better job for half the price.

4. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

I hope they manage to ship this for ~£350

5. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

For HDMI out and XBMC with 1080p files :)

6. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

So whats the benchmarks on the G310M? And how is it in comparison to the GT 335M in the M11x?

7. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

^^

8. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Yea but 15" laptops that can manage 10hours battery life and don't break your back carrying them are non exsistant. I got my Acer Aspire one net book for £250 with an 8hour battery. Its fantastic for uni since its light, therefore takes up less bag space, long battery means Im not needing to sit beside a power outlet and powerful enough to handle BBC iplayer for when Ive time between lectures. Yes the screen size is slightly annoying for doing basic c programming since I have to scroll alot, but it does the job perfectly. The extra advantage with ion is that you can play Wow, TF2, CS:S while on the move too and also hook it up to a friends TV for 1080p movies.

How many people these days actually need a dual core anyway? My entire family are more than happy with the sempron build in my sig. Most people spend time surfing, updating their facebook etc its that market the atom is aimed at. If flash is offloaded to the GPU then atom has overcame its biggest weakness. Apart from screen size the £300-£400 laptop market cant really offer many advantages over a ion netbook apart from a DVD-RW and a larger screen. I doubt anyone getting a laptop from that price range will be doing photoshop (interesting to see how ion GPU effects it) or gaming on anything more demanding than farmville.

9. elGafas

elGafas Myopic

Most people think like you cause they never used an Atom based computer. I bought an AAO 150 (Atom n270) about a year ago, and since then I can't imagine my day without one of these low-power based pcs.

No more heavy bags, no more backpack + laptop bag, no more heavy power bricks, no more overheat on my lap when I'm finishing some work on the bus. You can play games, watch videos, surf the internet, connect it to a projector and show your work for hours without running out of battery.

No dvd drive? Get a slim usb drive, It's still lighter and smaller to carry both things than a 15" laptop.

I even replaced some of my desktop computers for IONs.

10. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Given its running the Atom CPU it will perform, well, poorly. (assuming you mean gaming performance?).

The G310m from what I can tell is a rebadged G210m, which itself is a rebadged 9400mGT (16 shaders). Compared to the GT335m (72 / 76 shaders _ I can't remember which it is) it will be slow(er).

For other uses it should be adequete (just like Ion 1).

In fact apart from a slight name change I am not really seeing a massive performance boost over Ion 1.

11. Stonerd

Stonerd The monkey's out of the bottle, man

+1

Tags: Add Tags