1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Acer RT270 - faulty buttons? Help me fix it!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MiNiMaL_FuSS, 11 Dec 2020.

1. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Hi guys,

I picked up a faulty Acer RT270 today as spare repairs.

It powers on and connects to the computer just fine, it even displays through HDMI and display port, just fine. Essentially a fully working monitor!

Roughly every 2 minutes, the menu pops up in the bottom right corner, as if the menu button has been pressed.

Then, every 5 minutes or so, the screen suddenly cycles through the input options, as if the input button is being pressed.

Then it return to normal and the process repeats.

My initial thought was to simply reset the monitor. But none of the buttons actually respond to touch (you can hear them "click", so they're not physically stuck).

Some sort of hardware issues then, possibly a faulty connection from the buttons to the main panel?

I open up the monitor and check the little ribbon cable from the mainboard to the buttons, seems secure.

Out of interest I remove the ribbon cable and power on the monitor.

Everything works! No cycling!

So I now have a perfectly working monitor, but only if the buttons are not connected.

Thoughts?

I'm hoping it might just be a faulty ribbon cable and that I can source a replacement somewhere?

Last edited: 11 Dec 2020
  2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

If it is not the ribbon cable it could be bad contacts. See if you can get to them, clean them with isoprop. You could try deoxit too.

3. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I'll give that a go first actually as haven't found the right ribbon cable online.

Any chance white spirit will do the job...?

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

No I wouldn't use that.