1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Acer to launch new Aspire Ones

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Apr 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. yuusou

yuusou Well-Known Member

Netbooks have been showing up faster than my grandma can pop her daily pills.

3. Narishma

Narishma New Member

"Graphics are nothing to write home about, being provided by an Intel GMA500 chip – although anyone interested in running one of the new netbook-oriented Linux distros will be pleased by Intel's excellent Linux driver support."

I find this sentence surprising as the GMA 500 is one of the worst supported Intel chips on Linux.
    http://www.happyassassin.net/2009/0...omprehensive-summary-as-to-why-youre-screwed/
    That article is a few months old, so it's possible the situation improved a bit since then, but I've not heard anything about it.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Strange - my only personal experience is with older Intel graphics chips, which have been great. I do know someone who has a GMA500 and is running Ubuntu on it fine - I note that the person who wrote that article seems to have something against Ubuntu and attempted to hack their driver to work with Mobilin. Whether that had something to do with it I don't know.

That particular issue aside, I stand by my statement - Intel's commitment to open source support is above and beyond anything offered by nVidia or AMD/ATI - both of whom offer only proprietary, binary-blob drivers for the majority of their cards. Intel, on the other hand, has an entire website dedicated to open source drivers for their graphics hardware.

Last edited: 3 Apr 2009
  5. koola

koola Banned

That's exactly what my sister said when I bought her a netbook for her birthday... haha

6. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Aspire One 751 is now on my list of Netbooks to consider, the other being the 10" ASUS Touch Screen model when it comes out but this Acer is a bit ahead of it now.

7. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Yay or the larger resolution. Boo for the larger physical size.

8. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

I'm really liking their 10" models

9. Fruitloaf

Fruitloaf Tinkerer

Surely I'm not the only person to be holding off on netbooks for their poor resolutions? Maybe its because I want one that can do more than just browse websites but 1024x600 is really limiting for most programs. Now all I really want is an AAO 11" based on ION.

Tags: Add Tags