1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete ⭐ Achromodic - Mod of the Month | July Nominee

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Boddaker, 7 Dec 2017.

1. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

So the case is done! The rails finally came back from the chrome shop, and that was the only thing I was waiting for.. But I'm not taking final pics until I do the peripherals.. so here's a teaser shot:
    [​IMG]

For the EVGA Z10 keyboard, I'll be painting it white, modding the wrist bar, and adding some chrome bits. Starting on the wrist bar, I removed the rubber pad and taped off the base. Then I made up a styrene piece with the hole pattern in it.
    [​IMG]

The styrene piece will take the place of the rubber top.. and will be under-lit. ;-)
    [​IMG]

To achieve the under-lighting, I need to add some frosted acrylic under the holes. So I cut a large piece out of the middle.
    [​IMG]

..and cut a piece of 1/4" frosted acrylic to fit.
    [​IMG]

Once that is glued into place, I can place the styrene piece over it. Then I'll lay an led strip across the top edge of the acrylic to light it up.
    [​IMG]

For the monitor base, I designed a slip cover for the tower in Fusion360..
    [​IMG]

Printing it out in 2 parts, since the tower is over 16", and my printer can only go up to 14".
    [​IMG]

And slip cover is done! Still need to trim and glue the pieces together, then prep for paint.
    [​IMG]

Next up is the base, which will be under-lit as well. Stay tuned!

2. Boddaker

Made real progress on the monitor base over the weekend, and got it re-assembled last night.. Trying to get everything back together for 32B this weekend.. I still have a few things I want to do, but it'll have to wait until I get back. I still have a couple weeks until the Cooler Master contest deadline, so I should be able to meet that no problem. :)

Anyway, for the base, I'm simply continuing the theme, doing cutouts and ice cubes lol.. so I took my existing template and just repositioned all the shapes around the base, and incorporating the logo into the design..
    [​IMG]

I mixed up another batch of clear resin and poured more shapes..
    [​IMG]

Then the fun part of cutting the shapes out of the ABS base cover.
    [​IMG]

Here's the base cover after filing and smoothing out all the holes, concentrating on the logo part. I'm not too worried about the other holes, since the resin pieces will be glued in those.
    [​IMG]

After clearing out the underside of the cover as well, I added in a piece of 1/8" frosted acrylic and an ledstrip to see how it looked.
    [​IMG]

Had to do a bit of modification to the steel base to make room for the leds, but for the most part it all fit nicely underneath. Running the cable up through the center circle was tricky, as I wanted to retain the swivel motion of the monitor.
    [​IMG]

This will most likely be the last update until after the lan, so I'll see ya on the other side! :)

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Diggin' the '70s-era Peanuts font. :lol:

4. Boddaker

Well, I finally finished the monitor mod! Of course I waited til the very last minute.. I was painting the last pieces while I was taking final pics of the case for the Cooler Master World Series lol. Anyway, here's the last of the progress pics.

After doing the base, I wanted to add something to the monitor itself. Originally, I thought I'd add some webbing around the bezel, but that would overlap too far onto the screen and obstruct the view. So I decided to use some acrylic pieces that I had cut when I thought the chrome guy had lost the rails. Primochill came through for me in a big way, and I couldn't let these acrylic bars go un-used. :)
    So the first thing was to figure out a mounting solution. The bars are pretty stout, being 3/8" thick, so the supports had to be strong enough to hold them. I came up with a simple plan to use just two 1/2" aluminum bars that run through the back panel. I only had to cut two slots at the top since I could utilize the existing speaker slots at the bottom. (who uses monitor speakers anyways :p )
    [​IMG]

A back view of the supports in place..
    [​IMG]

I had to do some prep work on the acrylic bars themselves, rounding over the edges, sanding and filing, and bending the ends down.
    [​IMG]

I matched the angle of the original rails on the case.
    [​IMG]

Here's a quick mockup.. looks too much like a spoiler this way lol..
    [​IMG]

Maybe there's some performance-enhancing aspects of this mod that will benefit the monitor.. 4K resolution perhaps? :lol:
    [​IMG]

To secure the mounting supports to the back panel, I used JB Weld to hold some L brackets in place and screwed the supports to them.
    [​IMG]

Then I made some angled mounting brackets to secure the acrylic bars to the supports. With the bottom and top bar together it looks less like a spoiler now and more like the top of the case, which was the original intent. :)
    [​IMG]

Prime and paint!
    [​IMG]

And final assembly..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally, the monitor is reunited with the stand..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that's that! To whet your appetite, here is a group shot of Achromodic together with the ViewSonic monitor and EVGA Z10 keyboard. :) I'll be posting the rest of the final pics a bit later. Cheers!
    [​IMG]

5. Boddaker

Alright, here are the long-awaited final pics.. :)

Of course, this project would not have been possible without all who have supported me throughout it's creation. Thanks to all these awesome companies! :D Also special mention to Swiftech, Sanctum Sleeving, EVGA, and Intel for their contributions as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And thanks to everyone who's followed this build and commented, hopefully I'll see ya in the next worklog! :) Enjoy!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 27 Aug 2018
    Dot_Kappa likes this.
  6. Boddaker

Well it seems Achromodic has pulled off the win! :D
    https://www.cmws.global/winners

I'm overwhelmed with gratitude to be chosen over so many insane mods in this world-wide competition. Always an adventure participating in these things lol! Thank you Cooler Master for hosting yet another epic comp! :D

7. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Congrats on the win.

Side note, the images are not loading for me all I get is [​IMG]

8. Boddaker

Yeah weird.. cant find anything wrong with the url's to the pics.. you can click on the IMG and it brings up the larger image, but for some reason it's not showing the smaller thumbnails. It's all copied from the other forums I post to and they show up fine there. :/

9. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Same images not linking, but man wow.... blown away :rock:again loving the see thru effect:thumb: prolly the most orig concept ive seen in a while:clap:

Grats on the win too!

Last edited: 25 Aug 2018
  10. Cheapskate

Congratulations. It's a lovely build... as always. :lol: I ran out of unique compliments for you years ago.
    I still think the 'ice' would look freaky with a knight rider LED strip firing through the sides, with laser leds.

11. Boddaker

WOOT!! Got my pics to show up again.. thanks to MLyons for educating me on SSL and HTTPS protocol. :)

MLyons likes this.
  12. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Always glad to help out. Especially after just going through the same thing with our site.

13. kim

kim hardware addict

:jawdrop: words are useless, except congratulations :clap:

14. Boddaker

Much <3 and thanks to Bit-Tech for the MotM nomination! Check out all the killer projects in this 'megamix' MotM feature! :D

15. Cheapskate

Report in please.

16. Boddaker

Thanks for checking in.. We’re safe! We were evacuated because the fire came within 4 miles of us.. fortunately the winds were blowing the opposite direction.

We have much to be thankful for today!

Cheapskate, Defyant Mods and MLyons like this.
  17. Cheapskate

4 miles. I'm not sure if that is lucky.