1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Acronym

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Achron, 28 Nov 2009.

?

Which faceplate design do you like? (Faceplates on page 6)

1. Don't change anything!

29 vote(s)
    14.9%
  2. Faceplate 1

12 vote(s)
    6.2%
  3. Faceplate 2

53 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. Faceplate 3

12 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. Faceplate 4

51 vote(s)
    26.3%
  6. Faceplate 5

14 vote(s)
    7.2%
  7. Faceplate 6

29 vote(s)
    14.9%
  8. Faceplate 7

27 vote(s)
    13.9%
  9. Some other design!

14 vote(s)
    7.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

There's not much around that beats the Atom+ION-boards actually. Especially there's no other boards with onboard-PSU but the Zotac IONITX-A-E and the Asus AT3IONT-I Deluxe.

The new AMD-boards with the E-350 are slightly more powerful in the graphics-department, but not wort upgrading to from the Zotac you got.

The only real upgrade would actually be a Sandy Bridge board, but this would become rather expensive compared as you'd need the board, the low-power CPU and a picoPSU.

So I'd say, stick with the Zotac-board you allready got.

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

There's nothing stopping you from posting pics of the polished finished stuff.*hint*
    We promise it won't steal the thunder of the final reveal. -This is a project log, after all.:D

3. Attila

Attila still thinking....

If you are going to anodise this beauty then please give use a look at it all polished up, else we'll never get to see it 'nude'. :D

Oh, and get an AMD board with Wi-Fi built in, like the Asus E35M1-I deluxe. A small extra price to pay for a great project.

4. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Well I already have the pico PSU and a low(ish) power E....I can't honestly remember what series...7400? Ah, I found the list of hardware:

• Zotac Geforce 9300-D-E- Rev 4
    • Core 2 E7400
    • 2GB Kingston DDR2-800

I'm not sure if the media center would need the sandy bridge...it seems a little overkill for streaming 1080p, which I would think my board could do just fine.

Oh I will, don't you worry about that. You'll get your fix soon enough.

See above! The aluminum isn't polished per-say, it's about 600-800 grit, but it's a fairly nice finish. The Zotac board I have has a wi-fi adapter, but since I want to be streaming blu-ray rips even 'n' won't cut it, it will all be wired up to a gigabit network. I'll have to keep that board in mind when I scour the net for reviews this weekend.

Thanks for all the advice, folks :clap:.

5. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

This is a really cool project, I'm pretty surprised that I missed it since google chrome has these forums as my number one most visited site. That sanding must have been painstaking work but it sure appears to have been well worth it. At first, seeing the pictures of the grid-type pattern on the acrylic I felt that it would have looked cool with just the metal sanded/polished . . however, seeing it now I am just amazed at the quality of the workmanship, I didn't even realize it was possible to take the acrylic and make it transparent and it is an even better look.

In terms of protecting the case from scratches, I wonder if you couldn't use some automotive wax/polish once everything is finished.

6. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Oh I'm sorry! (imagine the voice of Peanut from Jeff Dunham)
    I didn't know we all of a sudden started talking about "need" in here! It's bit-tech, and we "need" overkill! :lol: (sayeth the guy who watercooled the Wii :lol: )

Beautifull work btw. Just frikkin stunning! :thumb:

7. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Heh this is true...I can imagine that [H] would probably throw me on the street if they saw what I wrote there.

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

In that case, there's nothing on the market interesting for you currently. I thought about the Atom-ION there for a moment, as I've got two of them around and didn't look what Zotac-board you have there... and I couldn't remember aswell ^^

The Llano APUs that will be released soon might be very interesting, but I doubt that we'll see miniITX-boards for them until next year.

9. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

I've ordered the ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe aswell as a PicoPSU-160-XT for a media center. I could let you know how it's performing once I get it, providing you're still interested?

10. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Yes, please. I've got a bit until my hardware is put in, so I always have the option of selling it off to recoup some losses. Let me know!

11. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Well, the CPU is much less powerful than the one you already got, but it should be fine for most 1080p material. However, if you're going to encode videos, do some heavier gaming or generally just use it as something MORE than just a HTPC, you will probably be better off with the gear you already have. But the AMD APU is much, much more power efficient. It consumes 18W on its own (add some Watts to the rest of the board and the remaining peripherals, of course), so I guess it depends on what you want to do with it.

Here's my list of gear:

AMD E35M1-I Deluxe
    4 GB Kingston PC3-8500
    MyGear USB Mpeg4 DVB-C/DVB-T TV tuner
    Samsung 500 MB 2.5" HDD (for storage)
    Crucial C300 64GB SSD (for system)
    Samsung SH-B123L BluRay drive
    Lian Li PC-Q11 case with slow-running 140 mm. fan
    MCE Remote with USB IR receiver

All this will be powered by a PicoPSU-160-XT PSU. I will be disappointed if it consumes more than 60W when playing e.g. BluRay.

12. bboybaker

bboybaker What's a Dremel?

Great Job

13. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

You mother¤%!"#!!! i hoped for an update :D

Acron you slacker, get to work:D

14. Shael

Shael What's a Dremel?

Damn pOPe:waah: i had hoped it was an update too :grr: now im seriously disappointed....:wallbash:

So any eta on an update Achron? i think the crowds getting restless :worried:

15. bboybaker

bboybaker What's a Dremel?

:confused: :worried:
    Hey man i felt offended by your comment,
    first of all you dont known me, and second i dont have any project to update.

so i I expect an apology from you.

16. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Oh you big babies...

Yes, I've been slacking. I need to clear off my table to take some pictures. FINE, I'll do it tonight.

P.S. Spell my name right p0Pe :lol:.

17. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

About damn time if you ask me! ;)

Can't wait to get a look at this badboy in it's glory! :thumb:

18. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Don't get your hopes set too high, as it isn't anodized yet. However, it is fully assembled and as sexy as ever.

19. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Ill get your name right, when i am pleased with an update :D:rock:

20. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

im sure he didnt mean to offend you, it's just when you comment a thread it get to the first page in project logs and he thought it was because achron did an update cuz he's been slacking a couple of weeks.... and then he saw it was you making a comment instead =P