1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Acrylic Double Helix v2.0 Complete!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sea Shadow, 26 Mar 2006.

1. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

Well the school art show is now over, I got 4th place in my devision :rock:

Now that I have it back I can take some pictures of the final product.

Technicially what is shown above could be called v.75 I will have v1.0 up tonight.

2. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

Back to first post
    Hello everyone, sorry that I couldn't get those pictures up that night. I didn't have access to our families digital camera untill now.

Hope you enjoy the finished work.
    [​IMG]

I can now say that v1.0 of my Double Helix is complete. I intend on making new iterations that are more and more complex, however I won't be able to work on a new version for quite awhile as I am struggling to complete HS in time for the graduation ceremony (modding eats up way to much of my time).

High resolution images of v1.0 here

Last edited: 17 Sep 2007
  3. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

When you do, please, please post progress pics as this would make an interesting log I'm sure. Congratulations on the placing. What were the other creations?

4. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

First was a little bronze statue.
    2nd was a snake made from clay, but it looked real after it was glazed.
    3rd was a biplane made from Dr Pepper (soda) cans. IMO that and my sculpture should have been put into the assemblage category.

I will be sure to post project logs, and I will probably make a couple of smaller ones not too far down the road as they would be pretty easy to do (compared to what I have in mind).

5. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove New Member

LOL, hehe I'll get the sequencing team on it right away... I will need a negative control does any of you guys have a friend or family member who hates modding and would not mind giving up a bit of blood ;)

Anyway awesome trick I would love to see how you made it!!

6. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

Back to first page
    I actually built this back in October of last year but I figured I should start posting pictures showing what I have been up to all this time (eventually I will post what I am working on right now ;))
    Unfortunately I was in a rush and I did not take any photos of the work in progress. I was making this for a local LAN party and it was supposed to be the mod contest trophy but we never got around to judging, so one of the people in charge should still have it for this years LAN (in october).

Anyways here is 2.0 (it looks much better in person)
    [​IMG]
    Lit with the internal LEDs (powered by USB)

[​IMG]
    And here it's lit with UV light and the internal LEDs.

High resolution images of v2.0 here

Last edited: 18 Sep 2007
  7. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 New Member

I have a crazy idea, if you found some plexi rods that are clear under normal conditions but different colours under UV, you could make all the bars in the middle be different colours like they are in standard models and drawings of double helix configurations. Plus it would look even more insanely cool.

And make it rotate.

8. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Very nice! I had to link your project for my boyfriend to take a look at. He's a post-grad student doing research in cellular biology. Will be great to see any further iterations you come up with.

9. fri2219

fri2219 New Member

Wow, looks great!

:thumb: Thanks for sharing your work.

If you ever do another one and want to get the geometry closer to a biological form, try looking at the rotational angles along the backbone displayed here: http://www.tulane.edu/~biochem/nolan/lectures/rna/bzcomp2.htm. (B-DNA is thought to be the most common form, although A and Z forms have been found in structures relating to chromosomal segregation and enhancers/response elements, respectively.)

For a quick and dirty overview of geometrical attributes, this wikipedia article did a good job.

Last edited: 20 Sep 2007