1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Activision files complaint against modernwarfare3.com

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 19 Jul 2011.

1. Anneon

Anneon What's a Dremel?

Capitalism at it's finest.
    He is clearly using it for something. (other than gaining MW3 more free press, like it needs it).

2. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

But that's the point.
    Tough if these big boys don't get the domains sorted quickly.
    There is money in it for the people whom are quick enough - its easy money & well done them
    Not that i have the money to do it.

3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Cry me a river, Activision.

4. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

But are you just saying that because it is affecting a large unpopular company like Activision? How about if someone was doing a similar thing to a small charity or non-profit organisation and holding onto the domain name, would you still have the same opinion? (hopefully not)

In cases like this where a tradename is part of the web address I dont think the original owner has a leg to stand on

5. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

2 words - genius & priceless

Nuff said

6. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Ps: he should put a hit counter on the page just to rub their noses in it!

7. Gigglebyte

Gigglebyte :3

So you're saying that it is ok for portions of the web to be shut off for marketing purposes because a money making company wants something that someone else does too?
    This guy got there first and that is fair. If a company wants to advance their gains then they can consider a settlement, they are trying to market a product to fill their bank accounts so I don't think we should give them a headstart by removing the trend of "domain squatters".

Last edited: 19 Jul 2011
  8. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

it is not as if the internet is a new thing, its been around for years. You create a game, before its announced you get all the legal stuff sorted, you register a trademark, you apply for various patents, you register the DOMAIN, and you make sure no one else has the name trademarked.
    This is a classic example of big companies bullying the individual, they hadn't bothered to register the domain previously because they knew they could throw their weight behind a bunch of lawyers and scare the person into giving up the domain name. Would this guy even get a penny if he had to give it up or just hand it over without activation even paying a single penny for it?

I am sure if they just offered the guy a few hundred dollars he would have taken it right away. Or they should offer him a job registering websites for all their trademarks, since no one else seems to be doing it.

9. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Omg Activision, boohoo get over it and play back you big babies. This crap has been going on for a while now, they've been acting like real sissies because they know MW3 is going to suck. The guy legitimately owns the domain and can do whatever he wants, and the genius obviously is going to make a huge load of cash settling.

10. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I can only imagine what this thread would be like if battlefield3.com was registered by a CoD fan and used in a similar manner.

It's a funny stunt and we've all had a laugh, time to stop being raging fanboys, even if you're fanboys of an awesome game. Activision likely will win in court, they've got Modern Warfare trademarked and MW3 is the obvious successor to MW2, any 3rd party taking the domain is quite obviously taking it knowing that Activision would likely want it later, that's part of why it's such a funny prank in the first place.

11. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

As much as I literally don't give two s**ts about Activillain, and cannot wait for BF3 to come out, legally, Activision have every right to claim ownership of the domain name since it IS one of their trademarks. You don't have to like it...that's just how it is unfortunately.

It does work well for legitimate companies who, because they are small (like the company I work for), can neither afford nor have the time to register every related domain name on the planet.

12. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

Initially, the site directed visitors to the official Battlefield 3 site, but later told visitors that 'Modern Warfare 3 is an [sic] copy and paste experience that looks exactly like Modern Warfare 2,' and that 'Activision should spend more time developing their games instead of using massive advertising campaigns to promote an inferior product.'

what happened to freedom of speech? especially if its very close to the truth

13. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

If he owned the domain name before they 'Publicly' trademarked the name, then they are shafted.
    You can't claim for something that was done before your trademark.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2011
  14. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

No your right that wouldn't be my opinion then.
    Its when the multi million pound companies get it wrong.

15. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Fixed for you

16. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

lol they earned the right thats a joke, it is a series of words nothing more, they should fork over some millions to buy the name from the guy.

17. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

but I do agree that Battlefield trumps Modern Warfare in all respects.

18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

He is using the domain for a purpose though...

19. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

I'd say education. So yes.

Mw3=origion=crap. Bf3+origion=meh*
    * to be confirmed, but all the science points to this conclusion.

20. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

So if I were to hypothetically think about something long enough, it's technically mine?

What activision is claiming is akin to to Vettel saying that he's rightfully earned the entire Red Bull Racing development team and that they can only exclusively work for him. Even if it's a ludicrous analogy, it's ludicrous enough to equal Activision's claim.

I miss Hogs of War. That game was funny and extremely difficult.

Tags: Add Tags