1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Activision files complaint against modernwarfare3.com

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 19 Jul 2011.

1. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I'd just like to reiterate that it doesn't matter what your preconcieved notions of fairness or ownership are, they don't have any relevance. What matters is ICANN's policies and regulations, for those who missed it I'll post the pertinent ones again, please read them and understand what you're all dealing with before posting:

Basically sums it all up. Not liking it doesn't make it any less possible or any less legal.

2. Stewb

Stewb New Member

Just because people might "deserve" something more doesn't mean they will get it, welcome to a land with property rights (well, allegedly, I have read Sloth's post and realise that it probably will be forced to be handed over) and a capitalist system.

Did you even read the other 95% of my first post, or did you immediately see the word troll and decide that I obviously had said nothing else?

If my purpose was to only rattle a cage I would have only replied with single word or sentence.

Ok. I'm sorry I called you names, it was wrong of me. Now can you please apologise to me for calling me sweetheart? I find it very insulting seeing as we have never met before. [/s]

Well I disagree slightly here, here isn't purely squatting for money IMO (although I can't know), he has created a website advertising BF3. Now that unfortunately won't help his chances in court...

I can see where you are coming from - to an extent. But someone domain squatting (which he isn't simply doing IMO) doesn't actively harm progress of a company or technology. A patent troll on the other hand could do this which is an incredibly detrimental effect. A domain is not an idea, it is a location, a company can get on perfectly without a specific domain.

I do agree with Sloth and Fiyero though, and it will likely be handed over, as I alluded to in my first post.

3. tristanperry

tristanperry Active Member

A UDRP? Hmm.

Domain of 'Modern Warfare 3' was registered 26-Mar-09

The term 'Modern Warfare 3' is not a registered trademark.

Two trademarks exist for 'Modern Warfare', registered at November 15, 2006 and October 15, 2010.

The website itself is solely about MW3, not MW in general. He's also using the domain for commercial purposes.

So a good domain lawyer should see the UDRP fail (since complaimant doesn't own trademark for domain nor website's use). This is just a case of a big company trying to bully a domain owner, even though the domain isn't registered in TM form whatsoever. Probably best not to spend thousands on defending yourself though and just give the domain to the bullies.

Thanks to bit-tech for calling this - innocent - domain owner a squatter, by the way :rolleyes: Lots of ignorance out there on this issue, although having an inaccurate headline (essentially calling Anthony Abraham - the domain's owner - a thief/bad person) is not too helpful...

Last edited: 20 Jul 2011
  4. FreQ

FreQ New Member

IMHO, this dude may have a point but he's squatting. I think this domain will be in the hands of Activision shortly.

5. E_Spaghetti

E_Spaghetti New Member

If a big company or a big government wants something from you.....you know.

6. alf-

alf- Member

pretty clear case of cyber squatting, though its also a case of stupidity on activisions case, they really should of registered the address ages ago.

as others said if it wasn't for activision being involved, this would be a clear cut case, but as they are the current "evil" company people will bitch and moan regardless.

Tags: Add Tags