1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adaptec TV tuner for MCE 05

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-16, 3 Apr 2005.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Anyone know where i can find this:
    From: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/partners/hardware.mspx

No model number :/ and nothing on the adaptec site?! Anyone know what MS is referring to?

2. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Might not have been released yet?
    MCE05 hasn't been out long.

I could be wrong.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

True.

Ive looked at the Haup'lge 500: veeeeery nice bit of kit with 2 encoders on that as well. But no remote, and im not sure if it's freeview capable.

4. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

There are some nice bits of kit out at the moment.
    I really need to invest in Freeview :)

5. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

yeah looked at one of the MCE capable haupaugge tuners cheepes one i likes was £60 ...not bad considering it can do alot.....al i need is a decent arial connection in my room..... :duh:

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I really want the Adaptec one :/ Happ'ge looks good but many have said the software is absoulte shite :( and conflicts with PowerDVD.

7. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

id want a dual freeview one myself....

i personally hate hauppage, i always have software issues or irq conflicts with them... even in xp with an irq sharing mobo....

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea, ive been reading loads of people saying theyve either had no problems or shed loads :/ Id rather stay away.

9. andyunder

andyunder What's a Dremel?

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No, that's USB2 not PCI and it doesnt specify if it has 2 tuners.

11. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Thats outta the window for me.
    PowerDVD rules man! :blush:

12. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

You mean one of these little guys? If this isn't it, then it doesn't exist yet.
    EDIT: There is this one, but it's not as feature-rich. This could also be helpful.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

14. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

The ATI 550 with the supplied software is suppose to shite as it doesn't allow you to change bit rates or where programmes record to. I would stay away from it.

If your using MCE2005 it really doesn't matter but I thought I would forewarn you.

Anyone that uses the supplied WinTV software other than just viewing is asking for trouble, but many of the hauppauge cards have good 3rd party support.

If your after a freeview dual tuner card apparently Blackgold are releasing one, but I can't remember where I saw this info. You could just buy two BDA freeview (such as the newer wintv nova-ts) cards for approx £100-110 and stick them in MCE2005.

To answer your question the hauppauge pvr500 doesn't have a remote due to most people would be using MCE remote which can be had for £29.99 from places such as ebuyer etc. Also the pvr500 is not a freeview (DVB-T) card as you guessed.

I have a pc running 3 tuners in my pvr 1 is freeview card and 2 analog tv cards this running a free pvr program with 14 day tv listings downloaded from the radiotimes.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Wondeful! :thumb: Thanks a lot

/googles blackgold

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

17. atanum141

18. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Bindibadgi: Don't go for the avermedia as it doesn't have BDA drivers for MCE and their support is utter tripe. I wouldn't go for the Nvidia one to as it doesn't have a hardware sound chip onboard. TheCompro mate would be a good option as it has BDA drivers for MCE and is both an analogue and dvb-t card, but with MCE you can only use one or the other.

19. atanum141

yer herbs i had a feeling that the compro one had the best support/features avail....an the cards do looks the dogz danglies.....thinking of gettin one for me self..

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Wonderful, thanks for the info :thumb: Shame we dont have rep on here sometimes (++).

All you need is digital though, because you get analouge channels on digital and the quality is better.