1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Add a radiator or remove GPU from the loop, any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tian905, 24 May 2004.

1. tian905

tian905 What's a Dremel?

HI all,

Just a bit of advice needed from somebody who knows more about these things than I.

I have a watercooling setup comprising of the following:

Thermochill AMD CPU Block,
    DangerDen Maze4 GPU
    Swiftech MW20 Northbridge
    Thermochill 120.1 Radiator.
    Enheim 1250.
    5/14 bay res.
    All strung together using Tygon Tubing.

When I'm running prime95 my temps are topping out about 46c, running FarCry, I'm maxing at about 49c This is on a Mobile 2500 Athlon and 9800pro.

The Athlon is running @ 230 x 10.5 at 1.775 volts, I know my chip will do more (2.7 GHz) but it takes a major jump in volts to 1.95 to get stability. This jump in volts is gonna start pushing my temps out of the acceptable range especially as summer comes. So to accomodate this I'm gonna either: remove the GPU from loop and re-install my Artic Silencer cooler, or add another 92mm radiator in the top of the case.

The Silencer option is the easiest to go for but will removing the GPU from the loop make any major difference to my temps?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, as I'm fairly new to W/C so have little experience to draw on.

Cheers for your time.

Ian

2. Darv

Darv Bling!!

The 9800 will be adding quite a lot of heat so taking it out of the loop would probably lower your temps a fair bit.

I wouldn't bother adding another rad. It won't make a lot of difference.

TBH if you aren't having any stability issues then theres no point in changing anything.

3. k3nn

k3nn What's a Dremel?

id have to agree with Darv on this one, the vga silencer cools rather well and the card WILL be adding alot of heat to the loop.

4. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

To be honest, the thermochill blocks aren't that great performers. Not bad, but not great.

The only thing you haven't mentioned is the fan(s) on the rad. Also, are you using a shroud?

Some info on this would be useful.

8-ball

5. tian905

tian905 What's a Dremel?

Cheers for the replies folks. :thumb:

A few more details:

I'm running the shrouds that came with the thermochill rad, The fan is a Papst 4312 at 7v. I know I can up the fan speed and down the temps will come by about 4-5 degrees, but the noise is a little too much for me. At 7v it's nice and quiet.

I'm just reluctant to pull my GPU as it cost me cash, I don't mind spending cash but I hate wasting it, if that makes sense.

My plan was to set the loop in this order: RAD 120.1:pUMP:CPU:RAD 92.1:GPU:NB:RES. I was gonna add a 92mm Papst 3412 again at 7v.

I'm currently running the above but the CPU is going straight into the GPU.

Once I get my last exam out of the way (Friday,Communication systems and Networks :waah: ) I'm gonna have a play and see how far it will go on the present setup.

I just don't know what to expect by tinkering with the system, IE adding bits, removing bits and how much influence it's gonna, and it's a ball ache bleeding the the loop each time to experiment.

I would have liked to have a Mosfet block in the loop as well, but it's not looking likely at present.

Also I'm fitting this lot in a Lian-Li PC6016.

Any advice would be more than welcome.

Cheers

Ian

6. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

I havn't done any watercooling so this is just theory, so bear with me

You could take another smaller rad, and get one of those C-System pumps, and have a separate loop (common res though) for the GPU NB and mosfet. Another smaller rad should handle all of that unless you OC your GPU

Just my theory

Tags: