1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding adding a 1/4" input jack

Discussion in 'Modding' started by thrasher, 11 Apr 2004.

1. thrasher

thrasher What's a Dremel?

I was wondering if it would be possible to wire a 1/4" input jack to my computer. I've recently gotten into home recording so I was lookin for a way to easily connect my electric guitar:rock: so I could record it with some recording program. Thanks!

2. Jivecat

Jivecat What's a Dremel?

You could get a 1/8" - 1/4" adapter for your line in on your sound card.

3. wharrad

wharrad What's a Dremel?

You can just plug a guitar into the microphone socket, as they're both carry very low level signals. You could solder the bigger socket straight onto your sound card or something, or you could just get a mono adaptor from somewhere like Maplin.

I do warn you though, that they are different. I think it's because microphones give out a quiter signal and therefore of higher ohms. I'm not sure if it'll cause any damage; if it helps though, I've played my guitar through my computer for ages and has worked fine.

A safer way to do things would be to buy a pre-amp (usually in the form of an effects pedal) - then run the guitar into that and then into your line-in.

If this is like a big hobby for you, you might also want to know that some effects pedels have USB ports now - so they're designed for home recording etc. Be careful though, as most have ports just for controlling the effects, where as some of the more expensive ones allow you to record 4 stereo lines into mixing desk software at 24-bits etc.

So yeah, you could connect your guitar a number of ways - costing nothing to EVERYTHING

4. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom What's a Dremel?

electric guitars are typically high impedance (voltage dependant), compared to mics which are low impedance(current dependant). You can use a "direct box" as an impedance converter, and get a low impedance XLR connection out of that, then you have to make a custom cable converting the XLR into 1/8" or 1/4".

Direct boxes arent too expensive either. You can also hook it up to the speaker side of your amp so that you get any effect the amp has also.

Just one of many ways to do it.

5. thrasher

thrasher What's a Dremel?

I already have an effects pedal that could be used as a preamp and I just got one of those adapters, but should I plug it into the mic jack or the line in?

6. wharrad

wharrad What's a Dremel?

If you're using a pre-amp, then line-in

7. Fronzel

Fronzel What's a Dremel?

If you are going to plug a guitar into a computer, get a DI box.