1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software Adding my details to multiple files

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Podge4, 13 Nov 2013.

1. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

I've done a few photos before where i've passed them on to people but not got the credit for it. I've wondered if there is a quick way to embed my details as owner to multiple files before i pass them on? I've got Photoshop Elements 10 if thats of any help

2. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

The easiest is to add your details in camera, so it's in the metadata from the start.

After that, the best way is to batch edit them in something like Aperture or Lightroom.

The best idea is, of course, not to give people images for free or with out an written agreement as to credit; see as how metadata is no guarantee of anything since it can easily be stripped out.

3. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

You've got two choices, embed your details into the EXIF info within the file or watermark to your photos...

EXIF info is embeded insode the file and isn't visible unless you go looking, it's easily removed as it's just a series of 'tags' inside the file.

Adding a watermark is visible and so is harder to remove than EXIF info.
    http://everydayelementsonline.com/2011/02/create-a-watermark-brush-in-photoshop-element/

There's no perfect way of stopping someone from using images you post online without crediting you, but using both of those options is the best you're gonna get.

If your images are published in print without your consent you can send the publisher an invoice and charge them for the privilege. I've done this a few times with a couple of newspapers and been paid.

4. Podge4

thanks guys, when i first got my camera i did some photos of my mates band which were printed in the local paper and i never got a credit. But when i did some for a gig last year (which was a charity event)i passed some on to someone else i know who ran the event and they did credit me.

Its more for in the future should it arise that i need to use my photos for anyone else's events.

5. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Only provide the band with low resolution (1000px max) copies of the photographs, and tell them if they want the full size versions for publication to contact you.

Or specify that the photos can be used for promotional use by the band but they must be credited to you if they are published in a commercial publication.

6. Podge4

Thx, i will in future, because i know them well i did say to credit me for them a few times but they said they told the local paper but it was the papers decision to put "picture supplied" with it. hmmm.

I was asked to do some more by one of them who started another band but i knew i wouldn't get any credit at all, he only wants to know you when there's something he wants and where he'll benefit.