News Adobe kills 64-bit Flash Player

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 16 Jun 2010.

1. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I'd like to live in a Villa with a huge garden and a full-size swimming-pool, that's no question for sure, but 100% 64-bit-systems are not going to happen because of lacking software and drivers.

And as I don't want to live in a half-finished Villa without water in the pool etc I'm sticking to my appartment until the Villa is finished.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm running a 100% 64-bit system right now with no problems at all. Ubuntu 10.04.

Granted, I'm using the now-removed 64-bit Flash plugin, but so long as I keep a copy of that somewhere I need no 32-bit software at all.

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

jrs what you say about driver and software support for 64 bit being rubbish, may have been true for 64 bit windows xp and vista, a couple of years ago, but it has improved massively, in the last year or so

4. leslie

leslie Just me!

For those saying it doesn't matter...
    The next version of Windows is not going to even be offered in 32bit.
    Would you even want to run Windows 8 on 3 gigs?

And people wonder why proprietary stinks?

5. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

FFS!! This really annoys me.

x64 has been around for at least 5yrs and has been increasing widely adopted in the Windows world with Vista and particularly 7. Everything needs to be 64bit yesterday.

Let people with 32bit stuff continue with what they already have and put all the dev time into x64. Seriously - what's hard about that?

6. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

If this was 2007, you'd have a point.

7. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Me, because running 32-bit apps in compatibility mode on a 64-bit OS makes them far more likely to crash, freeze, lag, and generally behave like a politician being asked about oral sex. I dearly wish Adobe would sort their **** out so I could move to a 64-bit browser, because they're much faster and more stable.

And to those going "lol 64, this isn't the future, mayyyn": it is the future, x64 OSes and software have been around for years and Adobe are just being crabby luddites and not getting their act together.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

you can still find the old 64 bit flash lying around. i'm using it right now and i get almost no glitches at all. actually, almost every failure i get with flash is because of opera

9. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Why in god's name would an OS need 3 Gigs of memory to run? To me that's just absurd and wasteful. With things like Puppy linux that can run happily off 128 MB of memory it seems utterly ridiculous that any OS should need 3 Gigs. i can see certain programs needing that much memory, but not an OS

10. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Minimodder

Worth looking for? :)

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

who needs flash anyway.

Flashblock is the ONLY reason i keep coming back to relatively slow Firefox on my netbook.

move on, and die please!

12. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Has anyone actually read this article first?
    It's just dropped the 64bit 10.1 release for Linux, that's all.

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

You can get a flashblocker on Chrome now too.

wyx087 likes this.
  14. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

AMD first introduced the 64bit cpu for the home user over 10 yrs ago and yet here we all are still in a mish-mash of 32 and 64 bit apps, multi-core home user cpu's have been around a long time too.

Interestingly steam suggests that both 64bit OS's and multicore cpu's are mainstream.

It's time legacy products stopped holding us back and we moved to an exclusive 64bit and multicore age... of course I say that as this is what I have, but even without that, I'd still champion it.

15. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK Lost in Time and Space

Hello, my name is CAPSLOCK, and I am here to ask you a question.

Is a man not entitled to the 64 bits of his PC?

NO! Says the man at Microsoft, it belongs to the XBOX!

NO! Says the man at Adobe, it belongs to the old browsers.

NO! Says the man in the industry, it belongs to the average PC built in 1998.

But I rejected those answers. I chose the impossible. I chose.... Krayzie_B.o.n.e!

Where the Strong will not be held back by the weak. Where the New would not need fear the old. Where the 64 bit OS's would not be constrained by the 32 bit architecture.

And by the bits of your OS, Krayzie_B.o.n.e can be yours too.

No harsh feeling mate, it's all a good laugh.

Tags: Add Tags