1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Adobe shifts away from tainted Flash branding

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 1 Dec 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

CrashCC would have been a better name.

Renaming Flash to Crash.

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

erm...didn't Macromedia launch Flash?

Adobe is in a real pickle - Flash is an awful security nightmare piece of software, but a lot of the web still relies on it. So on one hand, the best thing would be to put Flash to sleep; on the other hand, you can't annoy huge swathes of people who will be pissed off because they can't play Pig Farmer, or whatever the current Facebook game of the day is. :sigh:

Damned if they do, damned if they don't...

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

D'you know, I'd completely forgotten the days of Macromedia Shockwave/Flash. Fixed, ta!

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

It's perfectly understandable - it was last century after all ;)

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Adobe brought this onto themselves. They had over 10 years to make sure Flash was good enough, and with their assets it easily would have been possible. But for whatever reason they kept half-assing their support for it. I understand they don't care about it as much as stuff like Photoshop, Premiere, or Acrobat but why did they support it at all? Why not sell it to a company that actually cared about it? They already owned the rights to Fireworks, so that was all they needed if they wanted a tool dedicated to vector graphics.

It just doesn't make sense for a company that prides themselves in "quality products" to leave something so sub-par for so many years. Even if there weren't security issues or cross-platform compatibility issues, Flash still performed like complete crap until somewhere around version 15, and by then it was too late.

7. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Last Millennium even... Why do people always forget to mention that? ;)

8. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Once the BBC sees the light and switches to HTML5 for the iPlayer, I'll be happy to drop Flash altogether.

9. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

10. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I think the major problem with Flash and the security issues associated with it is that Adobe kept piling on functionality. Like jrs77 I was fascinated by Flash around the turn of the century, back when Macromedia was still developing it. I remember the plugin had a size of about 800 KB. Contrast this with the recent version weighing in at some 20 MB.

At some point Adobe decided that Flash had to be everything to everyone. That's when the decline began.

Needless to say I've ditched Flash a while ago, as I did Java.

11. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Adobe Animate is causing my browser to crash....

12. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

No matter how they rename Flash, it's still tainted by Chaos and corrupted by Nurgle. Rubbish in permanent state of decay.

Hate Flash from first incarnation to the last.

13. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

I think it's quite Tzeentchian with a dab of Slaanesh actually. Always changing, excessively changing..