1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Adr1ft Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 20 Apr 2016.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Sounds about right, to me.

Felt pretty much the same.

3. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

You do realise this tittles claim to fame, and the reason it is awesome to explore is that it is built as a piece de resistance work of art for the oculus rift.

You have reviewed a non flat extremely impressive early to market VR space exploration tittle as a flat experience.

Like having a Ferrari F40 up on bricks and then reviewing the car saying its handling doesn't feel right or does seem to go very fast.

Reviewing adr1ft with no mention of vice or rift. Wtf?

Climb out of 2011

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

^What's wrong with judging a game on its own merits? The argument we've seen before VR came along is 'graphics alone do not a good game make'.

5. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

If march the 28th had of been xmas day, then Oculus would have failed to have delivered the presents to the children.

I take that **** seriously.

The review is not complete and is confusing why it is even posted now with no mention of the main reason the whole thing exists no?

The review should be flat and vr, posting just flat is strange although its a good review.

The game basicly sucks right but the point of fact is its for cool in the helmet experiences, that's the point of it, you think the vendor does know to include the start animation of destruction, of course they do.

The game is focused on first person, in oculus

reviewing it with any other tinted glasses on like old school flat screen game impression is fine but do state what is the situation with the experience. Its a jump up from blue marble(vr)..

6. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

What's a tittle?

7. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

A typo?

8. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

The review is complete. A game has been reviewed as a game, which it sadly fails at. Even if it had been tested in VR, would it have made any difference beyond the first 30 seconds of ooing and aaahing? Unlikely.

Plus, the inclusion of initial destruction would have been an addition both in standard 3D and in VR, so missing it out is just an oversight.

Gimmicks and graphics do not make a good game.

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

This.

VR is still very niche, and this game is not a VR exclusive, so whining about the review not meeting one's incredibly specific requirements is pretty pathetic.

10. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

While this is true rainbowbridge does have a point:

VR should have been mentioned. No, that fact does not change the final score or the negative points Rick listed. They are completely fair and spot-on. It is also completely fair to review the game with a normal "flat" screen because that's what the majority of us will use.

However the title is clearly aimed at VR, as niche as it may be. And some points such as the lack of a grand destruction of the station can be explained that way: Just imagine a grand destruction of the station a la Gravity right at the beginning of the game. Most people would get sick or even throw up right away and quit the game immediately. Having the player awakening in space with enough time to get used to the VR feeling and orient himself is a good idea. Cameron did somethig similar in Avatar, remember: The movie starts very slow to give the audience time to get used to the 3D effect.

Also someone who has a VR headset might be content with simply exploring the station in 3D. So a disclaimer such as "This game supports VR" would be totally fair in my opinion. More is not needed yet.

Last edited: 21 Apr 2016
  11. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Those are good points,

The game is focuses towards VR and is one of the current poster child titles.

An interesting way this review could have been better would have been to have reviewed the game as a flat title.
    Rated the game, then replayed via ocular to give a rough factor of how much VR adds or makes a seeming 5/10 say, become more.

Just navigating around KON Tiki was hugely impressive in VR.

It is not the complete story to review a current gold standard VR Focused title via a flat screen and then make zero remark about is general focus towards VR. ADr1ft has the word rift in its title.

If every one had black and white or green VDUs and some one designed a game from the ground up for colour and only a few people had colour screens, would you review the game and slate the grey scale. You would at least mention the game is Focused to advantage of 64bit colour palate.

The review misses the whole point of the game, it's spiritual reason for existence,

Being in a space helmet in space in VR fighting for your life with its dynamics it's pretty interesting concept, I'm glad this vendor went to the trouble of reaching into this new area of gaming, hopefully we can all catch up with this technology and more immersive view point.

12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

As ever, you forget to preface your statements with "I believe" or "IMO" and state your opinion are though it is irrefutable fact. You might find it hard to believe, but there aren't that many of us who get a semi every time someone utters VR or Oculus.

It smells suspiciously like a case of "it supports VR, so it must be awesome" to me, indicating that you have bought the hype and refuse to believe that the platform will allow the creation of rubbish or mediocre games.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I don't believe that donning a VR helmet will turn a 5/10 game into anything other than a 5/10 game in a VR helmet. Let's put it this way:

I game on a 15" 1280x1024 LCD. I upgrade to a 33" Ultra HD curved monitor. Does the game I was playing now get magically better? Are the levels longer? Does the annoying difficulty spike go away? Has the plot become more coherent?

I swap my gamepad for a top-end mechanical keyboard and gaming mouse. Has the game now lost its bugs? Has the texture pop-in improved? Does the ending now make sense?

Now I go to a VR helmet. Woo, everything's in 3D! I can poke things with these strangely-shaped wands! Has this journey improved anything about the game? No. Sure, perhaps it's more immersive or more impressive now - but that's the VR helmet, not the game. The fact that I can look around and poke things is true of any VR title, not just this hypothetical game I've been playing since the 15" LCD days.

Sure, if a game is VR only you'll need to review it in VR; but if a game is VR or traditional then it shouldn't matter whether you're reviewing it in either mode. It won't make the game itself any better to be playing it in VR, any more than you absolutely have to review a racing game while using a force-feedback wheel, pedals, wrap-around screen and Rocarro chair. "Hey, I've spent hundreds of pounds on extra toot so this game gets an extra 20% on its score?" Pff.

Just my two penn'orth, there.

14. noizdaemon666

That gameplay is more important than floating around in space going 'oooh'? A game is all about the gameplay.

^This. The ever eloquent Mr Halfacree putting our thoughts into the written word with more class than our original thoughts :thumb:

15. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Flat support to ad1ft is a secondary thought, an allowance so the rest of us can see but the target experience, spatial awareness, motion, presence. These are not via flat, the excitement about this game is not mentioned. that is wrong.

It's interesting about this topic because the field is new, expectations are satisfied easily, a short tech demo which this game is pretty much for the cv1, but in time good reviewers will hone in and be able to quantify what makes a good, great, amazing, and all time classic, but in VR, measurement of how good a game is on flat is known science, how will future VR titles be keyword buzzed, measured.

attributes and fundament aspects of the technology are still in motion.

Playing a game in VR. does make the experience better, it doesn't improve the game but as the water raises all ships, it raises the quality of the experience. We won't all be so easily satisfied in the future with games just because they throw a deprecated international space station into unity or unreal and place a VR cam view in the location.

As a blown up tech demo for VR.this game at this point in time today, most likely is one of the most cutting edge (unreal eng) and pretty, slating its flat impression with out of date means of measurement is not correct.

Edit: I bought this game recently, played the training area bit, two or minutes on the main game. When I get my rift eventually I am pretty sure the game will intice me to play a lot longer than that.. Most likely hours. The Dec is also making regular updates on community feedback. Do we buy this game arm for flat, most likely answer is no, do we buy it for rift if you have one, hell yes, defecto purchase..,

Last edited: 21 Apr 2016
  16. noizdaemon666

But it's a game. The only metric you need to measure is the gameplay really. Yeah looking pretty is good and waving your hands around like a looney is fun, but it still does not stop the gameplay being relatively boring.

In VR you'll still be pressing one button to do everything, wafting along like a silent summer breeze. It will still be a boring game.

17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Spreadie speaks for me in this matter.

18. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Gameplay under VR is a completely difference experience than flat.
    This title is primarily a VR focused push, its shines in its home turf, reviewing it on flat and not even mentioning its primary reason for existence is not expected here and will be caught and mentioned.

If you have not tried VR and can only related to flat that's fine, but understand you are a little out of the loop, some 3 years behind the curve.

VR is new, Devs are working to bring great content, happy days :thumb:

most recent patch notes
    ADR1FT Update April 20st, 2016

We are continuing to listen to feedback you've provided and a new ADR1FT update is available to download right now. Take a look at the following patch notes to find out what's in the update:

Added new Profile Save file to contain player progress variables. Fixes the long nasty hang we had in the main menu. Players with current save files will experience this hang one last time. There should be a game message stating the file is out of date.
    Unreal Engine 4.11 final update (required for Vive support). This is the main reason for the large update size.
    Localized text for all new menu options
    Allow volume to go to 0
    Fix credits music not respecting volume

Thank you for your feedback. We will continue to create updates based on the comments/conversations you're posting, so definitely let us know if there's a way we can improve ADR1FT for you.

Now go out there and bring Oshima to safety.
    Share:

2 AprEVA Free Mode and More in Today's Update
    Community Announcements - Justin at 505
    We've been listening to your ADR1FT feedback in the forums and have pushed a significant update to Oculus Home and Steam:
    ADR1FT Version: 1.1.0.18190
    EVA FREE (Explore single levels with unlimited oxygen. Levels unlock once they are completed in the main game experience)
    Locale Selection in Steam (Right-click ADR1FT app in library and choose Properties/Language)
    Tunable FOV
    Additional Monitor Resolutions
    Music Volume Slider

Thanks for the feedback. We'll be updating ADR1FT (where we can) regularly based on your comments, so please let us know how we can improve ADR1FT for you.

Enjoy the weekend in space ;)
    Share:
    31 MarADR1FT Officially Getting HTC Vive Support
    Community Announcements - cabbott85

You’ve been asking for ADR1FT to support other HMDs, and today Three One Zero and 505 Games are excited to announce that ADR1FT is coming to the HTC Vive in May! If you’ve purchased ADR1FT on Steam already, there’s nothing extra you need to do; We will issue an update to the game that makes the game compatible with Vive. Simply launch the game, put your HMD on, and you’ll be playing in virtual reality!

We will continue to inform you as we get closer to launching the HTC Vive compatibility update. Until then, grab a canister of O2 and keep calm.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

And if you have tried VR but haven't drunk the Kool Aid? What then?

20. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

I've the VR editor at another site, I really feel like even if you have tried to kool-aid, the game has to work as a 2d experience to be considered a good game. Otherwise it's just good in VR.

Tags: Add Tags