1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Adventures in retro games/systems

Discussion in 'General' started by Byron C, 15 Apr 2020.

1. bawjaws

bawjaws Well-Known Member

I'm sure there must be a technical name for the ming that collects on and adheres to controllers. And if there isn't, then there definitely should be :D

Byron C and David like this.
  2. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Currently Rebuilding

Skin cells, sweat, sebum, and dirt. Add food crumbs and yeah. Yuck.

3. Byron C

Byron C Probably isn't Hitler, but definitely a muppet

A shiny, clean, and fully working PSone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That glorious PlayStation startup sound.... <3

Yeah, finger-jizz :grin:

Somehow that's worse than 'finger-jizz'.... :eeek:

ifohancroft and Pete J like this.
  4. Pete J

Pete J Working from home?

Childhood rekindled. I think the PS1's intro was probably the best ever - used to make my spine shiver for some reason.

:sigh: simpler times...

ifohancroft and Byron C like this.
  5. bawjaws

Thinking on it, I reckon "controller smegma" is probably the correct terminology.

ifohancroft, Pete J and Byron C like this.
  6. Byron C

I think I got my original Playstation around '96, maybe Christmas '96, so definitely a soundtrack to my teenage years! It was with me all the way up until around around 2003 when I bought an Xbox - but that was also around the time I started getting into PC gaming in a big way, so having an original Playstation for so long was not a huge problem...

This PSone (model SCPH-102) was my brother's machine, so next on the table will be my poorly original Playstation (model SCPH-5552). It's not reading discs right now, but it might only need its lens & drive motor cleaned (to be fair I need to thoroughly clean and re-grease the PSone drive mech as well). Time to get my hands on some lithium grease!

That sounds pretty awful, too! :lol:

ifohancroft and Pete J like this.
  7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I loved my little PSone. I had the little screen with it too. Bloody ex stole it lol. She stole my N64 too but I stole that back (long story).

ifohancroft and Byron C like this.
  8. Byron C

On the off-chance that I might coax it back into life, I gave the disc drive lens in my PSX a good clean. It only went and bloody worked!

It's not a home run - the drive doesn't sound particularly healthy and the outer shell is still missing all the screws - but it at least means that the drive isn't a write off. I can see it spinning at two different speeds (that's why I kept the lid open) and it is indeed reading data off the disc into memory. If I strip it down properly and clean it all out, that should go a long way to getting back into top shape. I need to do that with the PSone's drive mechanism anyway, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to do some preventative maintenance on the PS2's optical drive when I get round to stripping that down.

Next purchases: a tub of lithium grease and a broken PSX that I can harvest the case screws from!

They're great little pieces of kit, it's a real achievement in terms of optimising space.

Pete J and ifohancroft like this.
  9. ifohancroft

ifohancroft Member

I am loving the thread so fricking much! I love retro computers (unfortunately, I never had one. My first computer was a Pentium 3 PC that I got around 2001) and old consoles. I love all the toying with custom firmwares and making PCBs. Nice logo btw!
    I need to get to fixing my old PSOne. As far as I can remember, it wouldn't turn on the last time I tried. It's my original one from where I was maybe 9 years old. I have an original Playstation as well, that can't read discs that I bought a couple of years ago.

Byron C likes this.
  10. Byron C

It was not my intention to start a collection of Atari ST computers, but I spied a local classified ad the other day offering this gem... He even delivered it down to me (I did chuck in extra for fuel :thumb: ).

I've only had a brief look at the exterior, but it looks absolutely mint. Boxed, with manuals, and with the original Atari ST mouse. Plus a bonus joystick thrown in (which is handy because my Quickshot seems to be knackered)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Atari STe is the technically superior machine - 4MB RAM, audio improvements, blitter chip, etc - but only a tiny number of games were STe-specific, and games that required 1MB RAM were not common. But this STfm puts my STe to shame in terms of its physical condition! It looks like it hasn't yellowed at all!

[​IMG]

This has made my weekend :happy:

Vault-Tec likes this.
  11. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Cat Lies Down on Broadway

That made me laugh!

Byron C likes this.
  12. Byron C

I know, right! :grin:

13. bawjaws

I still remember the day I got my 512k expansion card for my Amiga, purely so that I could play Dungeon Master. Well worth it!

Byron C likes this.
  14. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

hand jam.

15. bawjaws

*Boaks*

16. Byron C

So I just did a bit of a cursory cleanup on the STfm and it definitely smells a little funky... I was hoping to avoid a deep-clean, but it looks like it's going to be necessary after all, even if it's just the keyboard. I need to do a full visual inspection anyway...

17. Byron C

OK, update time, here we go...

Let's get the case off the STfm and see what we're dealing with! Side note: it's nice to work on an Atari ST that still has all of its screws! :grin:

Before we get started though, here's the serial number!

[​IMG]

There's definitely some kind of gunk under there...

[​IMG]

Next, PSU. That cap looked a little swole at first glance, but it's actually fine. I do intend to properly refurbish the PSU for both this machine and my original STe; even just replacing the caps will help it along.

[​IMG]

What the HELL is this chonker?! Seriously, that is a massive floppy drive! Most STf-type machines have floppy drives half that height!

[​IMG]

If this is a model number then it doesn't help me find out more info on it!

[​IMG]

There's even a separate controller board for it. Which I find really weird, since the cable attached to the motherboard looks like a standard floppy cable... This is obviously some kind of early model STfm, I just hope it isn't a single-sided drive! Hopefully the motherboard can use a standard floppy drive, because that means I can use a Gotek and get software running... Related: if anyone wants to donate an old PC floppy drive, I'm all ears! The only software I can find to write Atari ST disk images to actual physical disks can't use USB floppy drives :sigh:

[​IMG]

Anyhow! On to the mainboard... which looks like it's in really good shape, hardly even that dusty! All those axial electrolytic caps look good, none of them look like they've swollen or spilled their guts.

[​IMG]

RAM chips! No sockets here, the STf-type machines didn't get socketed RAM until you get to the STe model. This is a 520STfm, which should mean that this is 512kB RAM. Those are NEC D41256C-15 256kbit (aka 32kB) RAM chips and there are 16 of them, so: 16*32kB=512kB.

[​IMG]

TOS ROMs! Apparently this list of TOS ROMs vs chip numbers suggests that these are TOS v1.02. The ROM chip numbers are C101631-001 (Hi) and C101632-001 (Lo). They're 1mbit ROM chips, hence why there are only 2 sockets populated - the alternative is 6x256kbit ROMs.

[​IMG]

Here's the motherboard part/rev number, in case anyone besides me is interested!

[​IMG]

So! Time to get to cleaning!

And here's the source of the funk I smelled earlier... It smells like earwax, so I don't want to know what it was... It was most likely just grease for the bar on the Enter key, but the smell makes me inclined to not think about it too much!

[​IMG]

Keyboard tray is pretty clean to be honest, far better than the condition my STe was in!

[​IMG]

All the plastic bits, ready for cleaning!

[​IMG]

I am so done with washing keyboards by hand. Totally done.

[​IMG]

And that's it for this machine for now! Now I have to let stuff dry off thoroughly before I can put it back together and fire it up!

While we're on the subject of the ST however... I fired up Golden Axe on my STe for s**ts and giggles last week. It is every bit as painful as you imagine it is - very slow, contstant pauses for loading, and the music is... well... so far beyond inferior that you can't even compare! But I say this as a snob who has the Mega Drive version and played the arcade version back in the day.

[​IMG]

In other news, my rev2 SCART interface boards turned up!

That black solder mask looks amazing! Gold pads would have really made it look fantastic, but it was something like $15 extra for gold pads - for reference, 5 of these boards cost $2!

I haven't assembled any of them yet, I haven't really had the time. But that's something I'm about to go and rectify right now :grin:.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 20 Jun 2020
    Pete J likes this.