1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Adventures in retro games/systems

Discussion in 'General' started by Byron C, 15 Apr 2020.

1. Byron C

Byron C Official Necromancer

In the A600? It's a rubber-dome membrane keyboard as far as I know. Each key has it's own spring AFAIK, but it's not mechanical board. There is a mechanical keyboard design for the A600 (and A1200), but it looks like getting caps will be a git - lots of non-standard sizing, like a 1.5x ESC.

My PC keyboard is Gateron blues :grin:

ifohancroft likes this.
  2. ifohancroft

ifohancroft Minimodder

Thank you! Could it be capacitive over rubber dome? I mean it's totally possible it's regular rubber with springs added to push the keys back.

P.S. How do you like the Gateron Blues? Despite trying Gateron Brown, Red and Green, I've never actually tried Blues. Although I think I have found my perfect clickies in Box Jade, I'm still curious how do they feel and sound.

3. satisfiedwimp

satisfiedwimp Minimodder

Dude, you've hit the jackpot, give more time and that console will cost more than you paid for!

Byron C and ifohancroft like this.
  4. Byron C

Byron C Official Necromancer

Realising you haven't replied to your own thread in moooooooooooooooooonths....

Oops... :grin:

Acquisitions!

First up... Nintendo Game cube from these very here forums!

[​IMG]

Does also come with 2 controllers, power cable, and a composite video cable - they're just tidied away right now! :grin: I've no doubt it works OK, but I haven't powered it up as yet - I don't actually have anything that can deal with composite video, so I need to get a SCART cable for it...

Aaaaaand, and OG Xbox! Again, not tested because I only have a composite cable. This one was rescued from the loft at my mother's house and was my brother's.... I have already checked it for a leaky clock capacitor and it seems that this is a v1.6 which doesn't have an issue with clock caps!

[​IMG]

During that same trip into my mother's loft, I also rescued some games...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and also this curious little oddity - a pre-recorded MiniDisc! The only one I ever bought, in fact!

[​IMG]

And the last of the acquisitions, an SCPH-1002 model PSX. This is the one that was known as the 'audiophile Playstation', because apparently it had a really good quality DAC - they fetched a fair price a while ago. It included the original controller, RF cable (yes, RF!), and even the manual! For just under a tenner! (excl. shipping)

[​IMG]

It unfortunately turns out that the A600 is in desperate need of a re-cap - there's a slight colour tinge in the image and it won't sync properly with a SCART cable. I'm told this is a definite sign of bad caps, so that needs sorting also. Re-capping it even when there are no issues is good preventative maintenance anyway, but I've been really dragging my heels with this. I really don't want to risk parcel football if I ship it off somewhere, and I don't want to take on a delicate and easily damaged retro computer as my first surface-mount hot air soldering project. But @jinq-sea recently mentioned that AmigaKit are based in Cardiff - result! So little June Bug here is getting safely packed up for a nice motorcycle ride tomorrow afternoon!

[​IMG]

That's about it really, I haven't really done much with the retro kit recently. I've been needing to sort my shelving out for freakin' months and I've finally sorted it now - see here and here! I've also been spending a lot more time on the PC since I've poured so much money into the PCs here this year... I am not even kidding, I've spent over £2k on upgrades and parts for me and the OH this year!
    • Ryzen 7 3700X
    • Corsair CX750F PSU
    • 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600
    • Samsung 970 Evo M.2 NVMe 500GB
    • RTX 3070 Ti Founders
    • Ryzen 9 5900X
    • Asus ROG Strix X570F
    • Corsair 5000D Airflow
    • 3x Corsair LL120 RGB fans + Lighting Node Pro
    • Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 2 360
    • WD Blue SN 550 M.2 NVMe 1TB
    • 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600

That's not even counting the new audio gear I picked up recently! I also seem to have started a collection of 90s-era hifi kit... oops...!

Time to get back into the retro computers/consoles, methinks - it's bloody cheaper than PC gaming! :lol:

It could be I guess, I'm not really that clued-up on Amiga keyboards - this is literally the first one I've ever owned! :grin: The keyboard is a sealed unit which clips into the front case - at the moment I've no need to take it apart, so I'm going to leave it intact for now.

It's already worth more than what I paid for it, because I didn't pay a penny for it! :grin:

5. satisfiedwimp

satisfiedwimp Minimodder

Aw, lucky man!