1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Advice - 28-32in offerings

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Burnout21, 27 Nov 2022.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Hi,

I tend to run a little behind the curve, recently I picked up a RTX3080 to replace my GTX980, all is fine and lovely however my current display is a trio of LG IPS234, which are a 1080p panel capped at 60Hz.

Ive had the itch to pull the trigger on a Asus Tuf VG28UQL1A, however I've seen a flood of new screens hit the retailers with many on pre-order.

Ideally I am looking for a 1440p or 4K screen with HDR with a IPS or VA panel. I tend to run my equipment for a long time, so OLED isn't a lasting tech I want to invest in at the moment.

Games I am into,

Forza4/5
    Cyberpunk
    Cloudpunk
    Terminator resistance
    [Pending release] Robocop

Budget ideally no more than £750, so based on the above what would you guys be looking at to recommend?

PS - Not interested in curved panels, but I might consider a ultrawide

2. Auxilliary

Auxilliary Crashes into space stations

3. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

You can get the AW3821 for £750 on Dell website right now (I have a 5% off code to get it to this price, so if you need it, just ask).

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/ali...1dw/apd/210-axqm/monitors-monitor-accessories

Yes it is curved, but I have the U3818 and 1, you don't see the curve at all, and 2, I think it is actually needed at that size.

If £750 is your budget, I wouldn't look anywhere else.

This size really takes you into games, I really can't recommend it enough. For me it really helps outside of games too, having so much space, especially as it is 1600p rather than 1440p, the extra height makes so much difference. It is also easier to drive than 4K so you are also more likely to hit those high refresh rates.

Need to be quick though. I am really trying to stay my hand not to buy one myself.

Last edited: 27 Nov 2022
  4. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

The M32QC from Gigabyte (the 1440p version of the M32U) is also well reviewed (being hovering the buy button for a while but tempted by OLED myself)

5. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

I got the 34" OLED Alienware screen (AW3423DW I think) and I am a complete convert! When games support HDR, it really pops in a way I've never seen before.

Yes, it's quite a bit above your budget (especially since their black Friday units didn't make it through to... Black Friday), but I really would wait and save for it. There's a Dell offer on Amex cards if you have one (£100 off), it's meant to get you something from Quidco (about £60 though mine didn't track through), and there are Dell voucher codes for various young-uns and core service workers you can get your hands on...

Edit - ah my apologies, it is sold out. Nonetheless, I would still wait for it to come back.

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Guess I'll be that guy, my work has many, many Asus laptops with OLED screens. Every single one of them has the windows logo burned into the bottom left of the screen. No OLED monitor isn't going to have burn in after 5 years or so, it's the nature of the technology that the blue diodes degrade more quickly than the green and red, leading to permanent images that show up most when the brightness is high. It's a cheap way to get very high contrast ratios, but in terms of colour accuracy and longevity OLEDs are inherently worse than an IPS panel. It's very telling that Apple uses Mini LED on it's monitors even though OLED would be more profitable.

/rant.

Arboreal likes this.
  7. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

i have this one, switched from a 27" LG 144hz ips screen gotta say for gaming you will not be disappointed i think dell have a version without the gsynch module that it cheaper but with freesynch supportted at 165hz mine has been running exclusively warzone , cod mw2 and no mans sky. no burn in but i let the pixel/panel refresh run when ever it pops up

8. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Well, you are correct, but it's not like the mini-LED screens are really comparable in price, or achieve quite the same localised brightness differences that per-pixel dimming will. For gaming (almost) exclusively I think the OLED panels are a winner.

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Thank you all, I've decided to await the new year to see if any deals occur or possible news of new panels. The gigabyte M32U certainly looks interesting, what are the odds its the same panel as the Asus...