1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Advice and opinions on upgrading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silsil, 23 Oct 2011.

1. silsil

silsil New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about upgrading my 1.5 year old computer. It works very well - thanks to the bit-tech community, with whom I originally discussed this build in Jan '10! But with some new games on the horizon (Skyrim:clap:) I think I'd like a bit more power. Proposed changes in bold.

Motherboard: ASUS P6TD Deluxe

Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon HD5870 -> Another Sapphire HD5870, crossfire

Power supply unit: Enermax Revolution 85+ 850W

Case: Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P50

RAM: Corsair Dominator GT PC3-12800 C7 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 -> Another set of 3x2gb corsair

HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB + OCZ Vertex 3 60gb SSD, OS and Skyrim (lol).

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 - not overclocked. -> consider overclocking?

CPU cooler: Titan Fenrir

I have a few questions that hopefully you guys can help out with:
    • Do you think 2x 5870's in crossfire is a good idea? Or would a single new single GPU be better?

• What are the rules with adding more RAM to a computer? Does it need to be the exact same type as the first?

• Further, I can't figure out what my RAM's... "numbers" are. For example 8-8-8-24 (sorry, I don't even know what to call these numbers!). The website where I would likely buy more Corsair Dominator Ram has 3x2gb sets with 7-8-7-20 and another with 8-8-8-24. Do these numbers need to match my current RAM's numbers? And if so, how do I find out what those numbers are?

Any other feedback/ suggestions are very welcome!
    Thanking everyone in advance!

2. Roskoken

Roskoken New Member

3. krishan

krishan Member

If you don't want to go into your bios to get your memory timings, you can download speccy I find it a good general tool for finding info out.

CPU-Z does the same aswell.

4. jakobfrimmel

jakobfrimmel New Member

the only viable upgrades are another hd 5870 and a SSD.... the overclocking of the 920 is relatively easy so you should manage that without spending much...

5. arachan

arachan Member

I could be completely wrong but won't your current build be able to handle Skyrim just fine? I thought the (guessed, admittedly) recommended specs were <= what you already have. Just my $0.02, could be completely wrong, in which case I'm need some upgrades myself :)

arachan.

6. Instagib

Instagib Well-Known Member

I personally think that 6Gb of RAM is still plenty and you shouldn't need any extra if all you're doing is gaming. A SSD for OS is always a good move and while a second 5870 is a good idea, getting ahold of one might present a problem. If you find one, dive on it.

Edit; Oh, and OC that 920!

7. Big_malc

Big_malc Well-Known Member

Sandra Lite
    will tell you everything that's on your system

8. mejobloggs

mejobloggs New Member

imo that system doesn't need an upgrade.

Definitely not the ram. 6gb is already plenty for gaming.

Regarding gfx card, actually wait for the game to come out. Your card is still a bit of a beast and may easily cope at max details

Only thing I would suggest is to give overclocking a try. Nothing too serious. Maybe just aim for 3.6GHz or so

I noticed a large improvement with my i5 750 going from stock to 3.4 in battlefield bad company

9. FifteeeCal

FifteeeCal New Member

Overclock that 920! No reason not to when you've got a good cooler like the Fenrir. 3.8GHz should be easily achievable and give you a nice performance boost.

10. krishan

krishan Member

Depending on how much you were going to spend on the other 5870 at current prices. You could always sell your current 5870 and buy a gtx 580.

I'd wait for the game to be released and see what needs to be done then.

11. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

First off, i think the game will run ok with your current setup.

The ram is fine as it is. 6gb is plenty for all games.

Overclocking is a decent option, you have a quality PSU and motherboard so it is possible.

My main advice would be to buy the game, play it, see how it runs. Only once you have tried it out would i bother looking into overclocking it.

If you have good cpu cooling & airflow through your case then overclocking the CPU & GPU would give you a small boost in performance (if you end up needing it).

Upgrade wise i reckon you could easily hang on until Feb/March time when you can see what sandy bridge-E or the new x79 chipset brings