1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Advice for first build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tongue-of-Fire, 3 Aug 2010.

1. Tongue-of-Fire

Tongue-of-Fire What's a Dremel?

Hello, I’m new to computer building and have based a build on the affordable all rounder from the buyer’s guide.

Budget:
    My budget is £400 for the tower plus mouse and keyboard so I’ve cut down on some areas of the suggested build.

Main Uses:
    My main uses are going to be light gaming (Older games such as the half life series and elder scrolls), essay writing, email, internet browsing and films. Monitor resolution is 1920x1200. Overclocking is a possibility in the future but until I get an aftermarket cooler, no.

Current idea for build:
    Case-------------Coolermaster Elite 335
    Motherboard---MSI 770-C45
    CPU--------------AMD Athlon X2 245 2.9GHZ Socket AM3
    RAM--------------Corsair 2x 2gb 1333MHz DDR3
    Graphics---------MSI 9800GT 512MB GDDR3
    PSU--------------OCZ Stealth Xtream 500w PSU
    Storage---------Samsung F3 1tb
    Optical-----------Samsung TS-H653G DVD-RW SATA – OEM

This comes to about £377 which leaves £23 for a mouse and keyboard. My main questions about my changes from the buyers guide are:

1) Is this a decent case?
    2) I’ve seen on scan a similar motherboard called the MSI 770-G45. Is it worth spending an extra £6 on this over the C45?
    3) Is the graphics card suitable for light gaming on older games?
    4) Will the OCZ PSU be a suitable replacement for the corsair from the buyers guide?
    5) Will the PC suffer from using the original CPU Cooler?
    6) Lastly, can anyone recommend a good Keyboard & Mouse for £20?

Thanks for reading, any advice you can offer would be amazing. Cheers :thumb:.

2. rollo

rollo Modder

1. case is avr antec 300 is better still think case is users choice
    2. its not worth £6
    3. its suitable for older games at low rez at 1920 x 1200 it will struggle if you try anything modern ( farcry 2 justcause 2 for example) would need details reducing to minimum to get playable frame rates. 4870 is a better card if you could push to it.
    4.) ocz psu is fine i did own a pc with that power supply in and its still running now as a server
    5. no it wont suffer from using the orginal cooler might be a bit loud under load but you can set it down a bit if you boost the case fans.
    6. nothing id recomend for £20 best of the bad bunch is below

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-088-LG&groupid=702&catid=23&subcat=2 keyboard logitech £7.14

its not brilliant but its good enough

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-046-LG&groupid=702&catid=23&subcat=3 £6

so £13 total

3. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

you'll be able to play the games you want with those specs, i think there's nothing to add or take from your list :)

Pls tell us how it goes after you build your rig