1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Advice for first car?

Discussion in 'General' started by TrevDX, 28 Mar 2015.

1. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

I'm after some advice.

I'm currently doing my driving lessons (at the young age of 34) and have been looking at options for my first car for later this year.

The thing is should I just look at buying a car to just do a year then sell/scrap it or should I buy a newer, but still under 4k car and look to try and keep for a while?

2. Pieface

Pieface Modder

You're probably best looking at a second hand corsa, or Fiesta/Focus for that money if you want it to last a long time.

3. TrevDX

Yeah, what I was looking at was a 1.3 Fiesta but don't know whether to spend 4k on a 08/09 or <1k on a 99/00?

4. Pieface

Pieface Modder

A 99/00 probably won't last that long. Old Fords are prone to a bit of rust and you might pay the value of the car getting it through it's next MOT. I've got a 56 Corsa which has had a LOT of work done to it (New suspension, engine, exhaust, everything mechanical pretty much), but thats because it's done 150k miles. Low mileage is very important in buying a new car, and a good service history.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Despite being 34 you will still be robbed blind by car insurance for the first 2 - 3 years, so just go with whatever is cheap, likely to last a year without any real repairs and in a very low insurance group.

6. bsp

bsp Minimodder

Looked at older golfs/polos?

Fairly solid car. Parts are easy to come by.

+1 on service history. That doesn't just mean MOTs and stamps in a book but receipts as well!

7. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Skoda!

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Bugatti Veyron.

9. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

Something cheap as you will ding it in the first year. Everyone does.

10. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

It's one you can only really answer yourself but bear in mind that buying any car is a gamble.

Personally, I'd rather go <£1k and if the worst happens that's all you're out of pocket. If you spend £4k on a car and the cambelt snaps and does £2k of damage then you're in trouble.

Use the MAS cost calculator , it says my car will cost me £2k a year and it's probably right. Think about the odd unexpected bill, tyres, brakes and other consumables.

If you're not too fussed the Ford Focus gets a good reputation and they're common as so parts are cheap and garages know them well. If you're handy you can do work yourself and save even more cash.

Of course the simple answer to your question is a Volvo 240 estate.

11. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

I hate Front wheel drive cars but I think spending <1k on a VW with a bit of history is the way to go, as you are likely to get most of your money back in a year.

Stepson bought a 1.9Tdi VW Golf W plate 3 years ago for £1300. Has done 45k in it taking it up to 189k, hardly spent anything other than tyres brakes etc (locks was only bit that isnt wear and tear and he replaced the front seats for £50 from a scrappy). Just sold it for 1100.

12. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Not everybody..

13. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Indeed, my first 3 cars went undinged.
    Then I was involved in an incident (not my fault I will add!) which wrote off the forth :(

14. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

passed in 97 and no dings for me. ***Touchwood***

I say go for a Ford KA or Fiesta. Cheap for parts and easy to fix.

15. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I have to disagree with that, the KA is a rustbucket, not to mention a deathtrap and all round terrible car.

16. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

If your going to buy an older car don't be put off by mileage, often they will have had more parts replaced in comparison to a low mileage version, be sure to check the history.

Personally my current go to work horse daily car is the clio mk2. I've had 4, my current one is a 1.5 diesal 80mpg and £20 tax. They can be easily found for 1k and are relatively cheap to repair.

17. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

pass plus - even at 34 will help as your a new driver.

18. TrevDX

Thanks for all the responses, I'll have a good look over all the cheaper cars for now :thumb:

I was going to do Pass Plus as well after passing, always seemed like the right thing to do.

19. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Pass Plus probably won't save the money to make it worth it at 34

20. bsp

bsp Minimodder

If you are going down the VW route then VW/skoda/seat/audi are the same parent company but you'll differences in trim, engine power and insurance ;)